Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Hello everyone! 

Im having issues regarding dew during colder nights while imaging. I’m aware of how to solve the issue of dew forming on front elements of scopes/lenses using dew heaters, however I’m also concerned with the dew that forms on my non-weatherproof DSLR body and imaging laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this? 

Thanks!

For the laptop it's quite easy: just take some light and flexible plastic sheet, cut it to fit the shape of your laptop in open configuration, ensuring that you also cover the vent holes, leaving some space for the hot air to circulate inside the cover. 

This will keep the pc covered and somewhat hotter than the external temp, and should also prevent dew formation outside the plastic cover. I'm assuming here you're working in cold climate, otherwise heat should be better left out for the sake of your CPU! 

For the DSLR, i never looked for a solution: in different occasione, i got My Canon 600d both drenched in dew and completely frozen on the outside, yet fortunately had no issues. You could cover it too (freezer bags, maybe?)  but don't know if this could increase sensor temperature. 

Maybe others could add on this. 

Fabio

For the laptop, I simply use a plastic storage bin, without its lid, tipped on one side.  Big enough to take the open laptop with a bit of a gap around the edges.  For best astro-bling effect, use the colour red!

Never had any problems with DSLR - could perhaps place a light piece of cloth during imaging just to absorb any excess?

For the computer I use an EACC - see my blog link below - which has always proved perfect, is very adaptable and is free!

https://watchthisspaceman.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/vision-technician/

I should say, this is not a joke, it works very well 😀😀😀

Just put a duster over the camera.  The duster will obviously get damp but this shouldn't be a problem even for a non weather proof DSLR.  You can get little "coats" for DSLRs but I don't think they are a good idea because the camera can start to warm up

I use a cardboard box on its side for my laptop. I tape the box to the table so it doesn't move.

I'd think the problem for a DSLR would be bringing it back into a warm atmosphere after a cold imaging session where dew would form on the cold body of the camera and potentially inside connections etc. I always replace the lens cap before bringing the camera inside and secure the rubber cover over the USB port. A few times recently ice has formed on the outside of the camera body (a Canon 700D) and I leave my camera in the colder kitchen covered with tea towels so that it can warm up more slowly than in the rest of the house. The following morning it has warmed up to ambient temperature and can be surfaced wiped and stored. I've only imaged with the laptop outside once and when I'd brought it inside I left it running on mains power for 15 minutes to ensure it had evaporated away any residual ice/water.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls

For the DSLR I saw a tip of placing it in a zip-lock bag before bringing it inside and allowing it to adjust to ambient temperature more slowly before removing it from the bag, this has worked well for me albeit I've only had the chance a couple of times.