Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion with 35mm

On Wednesday night we had some clear skies so had the SA out for the first time in yonks. Put the 35mm f/2.8 Elmarit R on the ASI 1600 for some experimental imaging. After getting some RGB I took 30 mins of HII at f/2.8 and in 60 sec subs with the SA unguided. Capture in Maxim DL6, stacking and PP in AA5. Bias only, as I still have to get the relevant Dark and Flat frames. Gradient removal, DDP and Histogram Stretch, followed by Low-Pass filter to clean up the noise.

203569240_HydrogenStackDDPandStretch.thumb.jpg.9fa29400826b1beffdd2457b9b9fe7bd.jpg

I thought the R, G, and B were out of sequence, but they are correct, so will be adding some RGB later. No L, as I was concentrating on the RGB elements.

Very nice shot... and it made me chuckle a bit.  

I've been struggling to process a mosaic of the same area.  Your photo explains the problems that I'm having very well.  My Angelfish is brighter than my Barnard's loop so I am having problems balancing up the contrast/brightness between my frames. 

I look forward to the colour version.

That's a really nice result Dave.

I keep thinking that I should buy something like a 24mm, or 35mm lens for my astro-modified Canon 600D to shoot really widefield targets like that. I have a Nikkor 18-200mm zoom, but my Nikon DSLR isn't astro-modified, so not sure how well that would work on Ha rich targets like Orion - maybe I should try it at 18mm as an experiment....

Cheers, Geof

Archived