Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Observatory in the Snow

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Mine, as far as it has progressed.  The snow has been melting fairly rapidly since this morning.

James

Looks like an idyllic place for an observatory! And it looks like your work is paying off ? 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

A bit more snow than this since last night.   ❄️

a_winters_tale_1_20141014_1248404949.jpg

What a fantastic site - I'd like to visit sometime - I checked out the website - looks like your providing a hugely valuable service for the local community ?

David

These are from a few years ago. We no longer seem to get big dumps of snow. (Famous last words!) The larger shed in the background is the Observatoire Per Prejvall, home to four robotic setups and in the foreground is the Alan Longstaff Telescope, a 14 inch SCT under a sentry box roll off (which was about as likely to roll anywhere as a railway sleeper at this time! :icon_mrgreen:)

OBSERVATORIES-L.jpg

A thin coating of snow has been rained out of existence today.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

These are from a few years ago. We no longer seem to get big dumps of snow. (Famous last words!) The larger shed in the background is the Observatoire Per Prejvall, home to four robotic setups and in the foreground is the Alan Longstaff Telescope, a 14 inch SCT under a sentry box roll off (which was about as likely to roll anywhere as a railway sleeper at this time! :icon_mrgreen:)

A thin coating of snow has been rained out of existence today.

Olly

That's some serious snow amounts Olly ?Looks like it was getting to the depth you'd have to get up there and shovel it off to keep the weight from damaging the roof ? 

David

46 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Peter, that’s just showing off - quite some dome! What’s inside? Something equally large?

The dome currently houses a Meade 16" SCT and a 20" F3.5 Dobsonian. It was built to contain our eventual 42" Cassegrain-Newtonian but that project is currently on hold. In recent times we have been ringfenced by the largest available wind turbines, their affect on the seeing has made it difficult to justify the effort and expense to continue with it.  ?

the_16__meade_on_the_scott_mount_1_20141014_1477535275.jpg

2 hours ago, David_L said:

That's some serious snow amounts Olly ?Looks like it was getting to the depth you'd have to get up there and shovel it off to keep the weight from damaging the roof ? 

David

Per was a Swede and the roof spec was checked by a Swedish structural engineer for snowloading... I think they'd regard this as a pretty trivial load! Oh no, more famous last words!!!

Peter, the wind farms issue has arisen here, too, but the concerns have been about lights on top of the turbines. I haven't heard any of those affected by wind farm projects talk about the seeing. So far I'm not menaced by them but who knows? I'll raise this in the local astro community.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Peter, the wind farms issue has arisen here, too, but the concerns have been about lights on top of the turbines.

Olly

There was a proposal to put lights on the Welsh wind turbines- there is a lot of MOD activity in this area, but to my knowledge this has never been enacted. Curiously the MOD were interested in infrared lights as opposed to visible (red) lights as these were more visible to the pilot's night time vision equipment (and also my full spectrum cameras.....). The last thing I wanted was a load of IR light pollution!!

Bortle 2 - 3 !!!!!  I don't think I have ever been in a sky less than Bortle 3 - 4.

I live in Bortle 8!!!!!  

But go regularly to a campsite which is Bortle 4 but we can't get there in the winter as the ground is too soft for vehicles.

Carole 

My "observatory" is my garden, and I have a favourite spot with good views to the E and S.

Unfortunately, it acquired 6" of snow yesterday, and to add insult to injury, a hare or rabbit (??) ran across it last night (see attached). The sets of tracks are 7 feet apart.

Chris

pawmarks.jpg

10 hours ago, LeeRich said:

Only a dusting here, but its snow ?

I've seen this observatory before somewhere - really like the design - a favourite!

David

Archived