SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thinking of Star Adventurer Bundle - have Canon 600D

Hi

I am a newcomer so please be gentle! I am thinking of buying a Star Adventurer Bundle this weekend. I have a suitable tripod.

I have a Canon 600D but only a 50mm f1.4 prime lens and a (pretty awful) Tamron 55-200 (f4 to 5.6) so just wondering what kind of results I might expect with this kind of setup? Starting to think I might need to be looking for new (to me) additional lenses also but that will have to wait a while as the budget is very limited here.
My main interest is wide field views but in due course I would like to take images deeper space images. I also have, although haven't used as much as I should, a Celestron SLT 102 Refractor (GOTO Mount) with a bunch of BST Starguider ED eyepieces. I have tried to do some astronomy imaging with that but the results have always been a bit disappointing.

To complete the beginners setup here I also have a pair of Opticron Imagic 10x50 bins which I absolutely love.

Thanks for any help.

Carl

You'll get fab results all the way up to 200mm with the star adventurer - the 50mm lens is perfect. If its the one I'm thinking of it works better at about f2 than wide open though.

The SLT102 is great for lunar and planets but the focal length is much too long for general purpose deep sky photography so it doesnt mean you are doing anything wrong its just not the best scope for that sort of application.

There's a thread in the imaging section for users of the star adventurer that showcases what you can do. But yes - you can achieve some great results with just the dslr and lenses you have already.

Archived