Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera 2X converetrs?

Naz

I was wondering if anyone has tried useing a camera teleconverter with a scope?

I have an old screw thread, (Pentax / Zenith mount) 2X teleconverter and thought that probably that it might may be a subsitute barlow, It's a four element affair.

nabban

That is good Ant, I was thinking more about optical performance, and how having four elements would effect it. In know that photographically that it does cause a slight deterioration of the image quality.

I would not expect to use it on DSO's more planetry / lunar

nabban

I suppose the quality comparison depends on the quality of both peices. When I used to use mine, it was because the 2 x convertor was very good quality and expensive but the barlow was poor quality cheapo jobby.

Proof of the pudding may be in the eating - if you have both try them out and see what happens.

Ant

I tried a x2 teleconverter on the back of my LX90, with my Canon 350D. The camera wouldn't operate and kept giving an error message. But it works fine piggy back with a 300mm telephoto lens. Must be something in the electrical conductivity at the 'scope back, causing the camera to think it isn't connected properly to a lens.

Try it - if your camera isn't too top heavy with electronics, it will probably work fine. if it is a new camera, you may not be able to do it.

Tonm

I tried a x2 teleconverter on the back of my LX90, with my Canon 350D. The camera wouldn't operate and kept giving an error message. But it works fine piggy back with a 300mm telephoto lens. Must be something in the electrical conductivity at the 'scope back, causing the camera to think it isn't connected properly to a lens.

Try it - if your camera isn't too top heavy with electronics, it will probably work fine. if it is a new camera, you may not be able to do it.

Tonm

Try switching cameras your cameras autofocus / select exposre to fully manual, and set your f stop to the f ratio of your set up, that should work, and set your shutter speed, this works on Nikon D70

You may find that there isn't enough light reaching the electronic sensors and that will not let the camera operate. But you should be able to get around it.

nabban

Archived