SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 1871 The Whirling Dervish Nebula

Barry-Wilson

From APOD: "This cosmic close-up looks deep inside the Soul Nebula. The dark and brooding dust clouds outlined by bright ridges of glowing gas are cataloged as IC 1871. About 25 light-years across, the telescopic field of view spans only a small part of the much larger Heart and Soul nebulae. At an estimated distance of 6,500 light-years the star-forming complex lies within the Perseus spiral arm of the Milky Way, seen in planet Earth's skies toward the constellation Cassiopeia. An example of triggered star formation, the dense star-forming clouds of IC 1871 are themselves sculpted by the intense winds and radiation of the region's massive young stars. This color image adopts a palette made popular in Hubble images of star-forming regions."

This target was initially a 'filler' between other targets, slotting in a window between altitudes. however, it has yielded a lovely strong image with defined lines and contrasts, with its own dynamic of twisting figurine opposing the towering gas separated by the dark light obscuring dust. Perhaps one of my favourites of the recent autumn and winter images from our e-Eye setups.

I've uploaded a crop too. The TEC140 is Steve's and paired with the small pixels of the Sony chip, it is proving to be an excellent high resolution instrument - thanks Steve for the idea and invite.

• TEC140
  • 10 Micron GM2000HPS II UP
  • QSI690wsg-8 with Astrodon 3nm filters
  • Ha 24 x 1200s; SII and OIII 22 x 1200s each; total integration 22.7 hours
  • own shared remote observatory at e-Eye, Spain
  • Data acquisition: Barry Wilson & Steve Milne
  • Processing: Barry Wilson.

I also used the processing of this Hubble Palette image as a tutorial for using a starless technique in PixInsight which I am developing, here

Full frame & crop below.  CS!

IC1871_Whirling_Dervish_SHO_Enh_90.thumb.jpg.9c22b16ae1eb909d52e05668a8b9d845.jpg

IC1871_Whirling_Dervish_SHO_Enh_90_crop.thumb.jpg.6171338a0bdd0c5bc2d53bb7a6eef219.jpg

Fantastic, I have only tried this target once from my Bortle 8 location, would love to try it at a dark site but won't manage 22 hours or even half that.  

Fantastic processing.  

Whirling Dervish, is very apt and I can see why.  Very intricate "whirls around the "head" not seen them in such detail before.

Carole 

21 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Just magnificent :thumbright:

Steve

Thanks Steve.

21 hours ago, Spaceade said:

Nice and sharp Barry-Wilson, haven't seen this one before ?

? - if you look carefully at the full Soul nebula you'll spot it!

20 hours ago, carastro said:

Fantastic, I have only tried this target once from my Bortle 8 location, would love to try it at a dark site but won't manage 22 hours or even half that.  

Fantastic processing.  

Whirling Dervish, is very apt and I can see why.  Very intricate "whirls around the "head" not seen them in such detail before.

Carole 

You're right Carole the dark sky helps along with long clear nights to give confidence on the ability to target 20+ hours integration.

20 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Simply incredible. I always always like clicking on your threads Barry. 

20 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Simply incredible. I always always like clicking on your threads Barry. 

Much appreciated, thank you.  The target has a rich appeal of features it sort of naturally processes itself.

8 hours ago, peter shah said:

another masterpiece Barry....just beautiful 

You'll be on your way soon when you get setup.  We had such a good two week run earlier in January, we were able to finish of a few targets.  We've had a couple of weeks of varied weather at the end of January, clearing now from Saturday to coincide with the New Moon - super.  Good luck.

Archived