Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where? Portable Lightweight Dob Skeleton!

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Can't be certain, but truss dob in that size - DIY seems like only solution.

I agree. I've seen kits for 10 inch optics and above but not for anything smaller.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking into options. DIY is unfortunately not possible at this time so I will need to source at least all the parts to assemble. I want to make it as light as possible and with two options - a Dob and with Vixen dovetail to go on AZ GTi WIFI.

4 hours ago, John said:

At the 6 inch size I wonder if a truss design does actually save any weight ?

The Skywatcher Flextubes are slightly heavier than their solid tube versions.

If they had dispensed with the lower tube (and massive base) entirely instead of merely cutting it in half, it would have saved a lot of weight (6kg vs 23kg):

td8_001.jpg

I understand why they did it, though, because it makes setup fast and repeatable.

9 hours ago, John said:

At the 6 inch size I wonder if a truss design does actually save any weight ?

The Skywatcher Flextubes are slightly heavier than their solid tube versions.

I imagine the truss design for apertures as small as 6  inches would make an excellent backpack dob.  :)

30 minutes ago, John said:

I was think more of the Orion Optics 150 F/5 newtonian solid tube OTA which weighs in at just 4.5kg.

Mine is OOUK tube. It is lightweight but I measured it at 5kg. Now I am thinking of using the same tube and just getting some new lightweight components. Lighter focuser, mirror cell, spider and rings. I want to shave it down to 4kg if possible - have to see how much mass existing components have.

1 hour ago, ashortfallofgravitas said:

The Orion ones?

I was thinking of this sort of thing:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7550_Geoptik-Nadirus-12-inch-Truss-Dobosnian-Telescope-KIT.html

I think there are other similar suppliers in Europe and that you can order the kit without the optics.

I think the cost is likely to be quite high compared to a standard solid tube design but maybe cost is not the primary issue here ?

Archived