SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar ED150 delights!

Owmuchonomy

Wrapping up in double layer goose feathers I braved the obsy last night.  I planned a tour of Auriga with a view to chucking in some favourites.  I set up the ED150 on the AZ EQ 6 and fitted the WO quartz diagonal accompanied by my ES 20mm 82'.  I stuffed my Astronomik 1.25" UHC (bargain price thanks @FLO) in my pocket too.  This set up required the retro children's playroom chair with the legs sawn down due to the position of Auriga. I spent about half an hour checking the plethora of open clusters sprinkled in or near the Milky Way.  The sky was one of the best this season so it was a jewelled spectacle and the ED150 reveals such sharp colours enabling me to distinguish the cooler stars in some of the clusters particularly the occasional red giant.  As Monoceros reached the meridian I moved to the open cluster associated with the Rosette. Now, for all my efforts over the years, the emission nebulosity has eluded my eyes but tonight with this newish 6" frac I was somewhat taken aback to see a doughnut appear in the view.  Switching to a view with the UHC filter was nothing short of astonishing!  It wasn't just there; I was falling into its centre.  Texture, depth and dark globules were easily discernible.  The extent was slightly larger than the FOV with the 20mm so I slewed slowly around and the perimeters and varying consistency of the Ha emission were easily picked out.  I spent a long and happy time soaking this up; it was truly outstanding.  Thoroughly recommended.  I retired happily to the warm kitchen and toast.

22 minutes ago, John said:

Nice to hear that the ED150 is delivering the goods  - thanks for posting the report :icon_biggrin:

No problem. It really is a great investment for my needs. After living with it for a few months I see how much difference the extra aperture makes over the 120.

Archived