Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

coatesg

First Dabblings in Variable Star Imaging - HL Aur

Back on Sunday night (27th Jan) I managed to have my first go at doing some CCD observation of variable stars. I haven't got any photometric filters (yet) but thought I'd have a go to make sure I've got the right idea, try out software etc. 

I tried it out on HL Aur (Beta Lyrae eclipsing variable) - unfortunately, I just missed the primary minimum due to equipment fiddlings (autofocuser + USB, sigh...) but I did get the rise out of eclipse. Equipment: ST2000XM, 14" f4.6 Newtonian. Images were 10sec each (the gaps are from focusing runs). 

Here's the AAVSO chart:

HLAur.thumb.png.1c1b01cc8a2e4d7e6e4aa74fdcb154a3.png

I used the stars marked as 128 and 112 as reference stars (pink/orange), plotted out of AstroimageJ:

Measurements.png.cfc95ed8f8adb82f88b901a3ba331ac4.png

Just need a suitable night and star to try and capture a full eclipse now (or may try for a HADS type star) - appears that if you thought choosing Deep sky targets was bad, this is a whole world more tricky!

Then follows all the rest of the calibrations, etc. Have a lot of reading to do before I'm in a position to start submitting data. Oh, and error calcs....!

Edited by coatesg
  • Like 5

Excellent work Graeme. You must be chuffed with that.

When you are ready to submit readings to the BAA or AAVSO you will need a copy of the BAAVSS spreadsheet which is linked to on the BAAVSS database. It also has help files associated with it. It will enable you to get files in the format required by the BAA or AAVSO.

If you wish to try a HADS star then here is a large list of them https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oGA2HaEHE8L6eX19ZoHqQQTu0LYV56HX3Srg7oCtOHo/edit?hl=en&hl=en#gid=1583863839

That is a long term project on HADS stars run by a Belgian astronomer Patrick Wils. If you would like to send any HADS data to him I can give you his contact details. He is mainly looking at the periods and so probably does not require any filter.

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

By the way I have completed my tutorial and submitted it to Helen. I'm not sure when or where it will appear but you seem to have advanced beyond that.

Thanks both - yes, very pleased at the data (despite just missing the eclipse minimum!) - also quite surprised that I could drop to 10s exps and still be mid histogram exposure-wise - guiding is fine for 5min on this setup, but my word, much less hassle at <1min! Also, with a reasonable size aperture, my range of magnitudes isn't too limited.

9 hours ago, Dave Smith said:

When you are ready to submit readings to the BAA or AAVSO you will need a copy of the BAAVSS spreadsheet which is linked to on the BAAVSS database. It also has help files associated with it. It will enable you to get files in the format required by the BAA or AAVSO.

@Dave Smith I had had a go at doing the spreadsheet, but it didn't want to play ball very well. But, now think I figured out where I was going wrong (and how to adjust AIJ to get the right FITS headers): so I think I have a first draft copy of the results spreadsheet - would you mind giving it the once over before I think about submitting - assuming I'd need to request observer codes from BAA/AAVSO to submit? (I should also get round to joining the BAA at long last..)

If you wish to try a HADS star then here is a large list of them https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oGA2HaEHE8L6eX19ZoHqQQTu0LYV56HX3Srg7oCtOHo/edit?hl=en&amp;hl=en#gid=1583863839

That is a long term project on HADS stars run by a Belgian astronomer Patrick Wils. If you would like to send any HADS data to him I can give you his contact details. He is mainly looking at the periods and so probably does not require any filter.

Thanks - that's super! I'd be very interested in getting involved in the HADS work - if you could introduce/pass on details to Patrick, that would be great! HADS studies, along with the other time resolved work appeals strongly, as it's possible to get results on the few occasions we have enough clear skies! 

Cheers!

Edited by coatesg
  • Like 1