Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Overcoming self-consciousness whilst observing

Glad it's not just me then. I've recently started observing and was looking forward to the Moon Jupiter and Venus line up yesterday morning as it was clear.

My back garden over looks several houses and yesterday at 630am they were all in darkness expect one which typically had to be the one just under the moon. As they were so low in the sky my telescope must have looked like it was pointing right into the only bedroom with the lights on!!

Luckily no-one has knocked on my door yet ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beulah said:

Have you thought about installing a wooden fence along the fence to mitigate that concern? This happened to me and I was so glad to have put a fence up! Good to take control!  :)

There's a low fence. I thought I could double its height if I had to. The hedge is quite high and has been like that for years, I quite like it actually. Because our house is on higher ground, if they don't have the hedge, we can see everything in their garden from our garden decking. They're probably concerned about their privacy as well. 

Sometimes I wish all UK properties came with standard default 2m fences!
The ability of neighbours to create *some* kind of controversy over minor
things (including the stuff they don't tell you, but do tell everyone else!)
seems semi-infinite? Sometimes I miss living abroad: They had LAWS re. 
the very minutia of life... but at least there was no arguments over stuff. ?

P.S. My neighbour who "never does any gardening" has the contractors
in the other day... Took down a 40' conifer tree... Suddenly I
actually HAVE a Western Horizon!!! ?

Occasionally I will go and set up a refractor on my allotment and mostly it is quiet and tranquil. Last time there and I was stalked by a drone. I must have been spotted, as it repeatedly kept returning, I found myself having to step inside the shed and it would seem to hover overhead. Eventually I resorted to some gesturing and it well, flew off. Besides on TV, this remains the only time I have ever encountered a drone. 

Interesting point.  Probably just human nature to be a bit self conscious when staring out. But don't worry about it. After a few observing sessions you"ll be noticed less and less.  Get out there and enjoy !!!!  

Archived