Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can I add a mount/motor to Orion XT8?

If this question has been asked elsewhere, I apologize, I looked but did not see it on another thread.  A couple months back, I purchased a Orion XT8, and love it, but really want to use it for astrophotography. I know they sell the XTI version, which I now regret not purchasing.   Is it possibly to buy and add a motorized mount so that it will track objects in the sky?  
Thank you for nay feedback!

Jon

You can put the tube onto an equatorial mount. You need to get a pair ot tube rings that fit the tube diameter and a dovetail bar. The mount would need to be quite a strong one - something like the Orion Atlas EQ-G or as a minimum the Sirius EQ-G.

It is of course possible to remount a XT8 on an equatorial mount with a motor drive. However, for astrophotography, a suitable mount for a 8" F6 Newtonian telescope would cost a fortune. You might get away with a EQ5 with a motor for virtually snaps of the Moon and bright planets but for anything else there are much better options.   ?

OK thank you everyone.  Being that I'm not good at building things myself, and the cost of these mounts is quite a bit, I'm thinking I'm simply stuck for a little while with what I have.  I also have a smaller 80mm Smartcube mount that I can use for photos.  I was just getting spoiled with the view that the 8" dob was offering up!  :)   Thank you everyone!

Archived