SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to figure out what it is?

I have no astronomical knowledge other than knowing how to determine where the north star is and using a map ( I was a Boy Scout)

In the early mornings I sit on my NW facing porch and have noticed an object in the sky that has a red and possibly a green blinking light every morning that it is not too cloudy to see the stars. All I have been able to do is look at it with a pair of binoculars, it does not seem to move, using a compass it is at 325 degrees NNW and at an elevation of 37-38 degrees above the horizon my latitude is 42.50571 and longitude -124.40876. Other than that I am not sure if I can explain any better what it is I am seeing. I am thinking it my be a satellite but I really don't know.

If I am way out of line by posting this, my apologies, but I am so curious.  I do have a small telescope we use at times to look out over the ocean watching crab boats but it is not set up and frankly not sure where my tripod is anyway. Any help from you pros?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it has a green flashing light on it, it will not be astronomical.  By far the most likely explanation is an aircraft.  With no flashing green light, then it would most likely be a star or planet.  The easiest way to find out is to get the free download of Stellarium software.  Input your location and the date and time and hey presto.

https://stellarium.org/

I hope this helps

PS looks as though someone else beat me to it!

Thank you too !! It is almost all downloaded, I thought it might be an aircraft at first but it is in the same spot every morning and we live way too far away from populated areas where aircraft are so common, and like I said using binoculars and my ancient eyesight, well thank you for the help! I will let you guys know what I discover!

49caade48dd83d21082c0285e19af828.jpg

It sounds too high to be a ground based object, but if it is not moving and in the same place every day it's not likely to be an aircraft.  

I presume this is over the sea.  My first thought was some Sea Platform, but from what you describe it sounds too high up.  

Pretty sure satellites don't blink colours and even if they did not likley to be seen during the day time, apart from the ISS they are very small specks to be seen passing accross the sky in a dark sky. 

Curious to know the answer.  Maybe you could upload a photo of the view you are looking at and roughly mark where it is in the sky compared to the ground. 

Carole 

It can be satellite if it's spotted regularly in the same place each day at the same time.

Probably geostationary one. Possibly "tumbler / flasher" if it looks like flashing lights - if it spins and it's early morning reflections from surfaces of satellite can make it look like flashing lights (tumbler is actually used for out of control satellites - which I don't believe this one is).

It is too cloudy this morning I can't see it, and the sun will be up pretty soon and it is not visible then. I went to that Stellarium the others suggested and I took a "screenshot" of what it is showing me now, ( I was able to enter my location latitude and longitude) I will add that so you can see what I ended up with, but it is all Greek to me.  It is way too high off the horizon my best guess is 37/38 degrees above the horizon. I can't figure out the azmuth things it is showing, I can tell where it lines up on a compass and that is pretty close to 325 degrees NNW ....Actually this is pretty cool, I love learning new stuff, but I should be working on my radio show right now, lol

Capture.JPG

It's quite off actually.

Look at stats on left side when you select something. It includes Alt/Az information (it's written Az/Alt actually) - it shows 179 (almost due south - north is 0) and 19 degrees above horizon (in your screen shot).

There are preferences (move mouse to left edge and it will pop out) where you can set display things, among others - Azimuth grid that can help you navigate the sky. Make sure you have time right - you can control time by again left popup - watch control (select date and time) and it will move to that instant

1 hour ago, carastro said:

It sounds too high to be a ground based object, but if it is not moving and in the same place every day it's not likely to be an aircraft.  

I presume this is over the sea.  My first thought was some Sea Platform, but from what you describe it sounds too high up.  

Pretty sure satellites don't blink colours and even if they did not likley to be seen during the day time, apart from the ISS they are very small specks to be seen passing accross the sky in a dark sky. 

Curious to know the answer.  Maybe you could upload a photo of the view you are looking at and roughly mark where it is in the sky compared to the ground. 

Carole 

Tomorrow morning I will take a few pictures as best I can and try to show you where it is in the sky, hopefully there will not be clouds. I think I may have to go to your Blog and nose around see if I can learn anything.

Us Aug 2010.jpg

How nice to put a face to the poster ?

I've looked at Stellarium on my mobile for your location with some approx. coordinates around yours.  At around 0700 and just passing from Due West towards NNW at that time there does appear to be Mars just a bit above the horizon.  I guess that could appear a bit red and low down on the horizon it would be passing through lots of atmosphere which might affect how it is seen.  Could you get a pair of standard bird watching binoculars on it?  It might be possible to determine if it is faint dot or a mere 'point' in the sky.  Dots tend to be stars, but if it has 'width' like a tiny, tiny circle in the view finder its more likely to be a planet and Mars might be on the cards from what Stellarium is showing me - assuming I've done it right.

Sirius often appears to the naked eye like a rolling flashing disco ball, but in the morning appears to be more of less due South so I wouldn't imagine that's what you are seeing as you seem to have identified the direction quite well.

Hang on I think I have it - I've just spotted an entry for stellarium exactly in the right direction identied as CXO artificial satellite - I bet that's got distinct possiblities

I wonder if its this https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=25867

If it is that it's a big thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_X-ray_Observatory

Hi Brown Dwarf ! I do have a pair of binoculars and when I am looking at it it appears to not be a "dot" actually looks like I am seeing an elongated thing lol, it definitely has a red light that seems to blink. My first description of how high it is in the sky was different than I measured it this morning at exactly 4am PDT I am pretty new to cell phones but discovered a compass app and wah-la !! it was at 17-18 degrees above the horizon at 4am and pretty much in the NW sky. I have been stumbling around on Stellarium and I am learning BUT it will take me a while to understand all the settings and terms it uses, shoot I finally realized what Azimuth is so bear with me.  You may be right about Mars though I will see if I can locate Mars at 4am on Stellarium using my location see if I can figure this out.

I tried to take some pictures this morning but it was no good, I have to get the tripod out and set the shutter to 30 seconds or so I am thinking. This is fun though!  I have included a screen shot of what seems to be pretty close to what I am seeing, the height above the horizon seem close and its relationship to the big dipper is really close to what I am seeing. 

Totally off subject but if any of you care to listen to me radio show I would love it....It is a Rock & Roll Oldies show on once a week for 3 hours Every Friday from Noon to 3pm PDT the radio station streams online so you can find it at kgbr.com 92.7FM in Gold Beach Oregon

Bruce

Guessing 1.JPG

Ah, so I completely misunderstood your first post and thought you were seeing this light in the daylight when you said in the morning.

Do you have a Smartphone?  Perhaps you could download one of the apps that tell you what is in the sky by holding the phone up to it.

I'm going to get on Stellarium now and see if I can find anything to fit your descriptions.

Carole 

OK, I have something.  I went into Stellarium, plugged in your location, Gold Beach Oregon, and then put 5am into Stellarium and went to the NW horizon which is where you say your porch faces.  I found Mars in the West and this certainly glows a reddish colour.  Maybe the flashing green is some sort of atmospheric diffraction and ditto the flashing.  It seems to have to have the altitude you are describing.  

Oregan light.png

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

Ah, so I completely misunderstood your first post and thought you were seeing this light in the daylight when you said in the morning.

Do you have a Smartphone?  Perhaps you could download one of the apps that tell you what is in the sky by holding the phone up to it.

I'm going to get on Stellarium now and see if I can find anything to fit your descriptions.

Carole 

I finally broke down and got a cell phone because the wife finally insisted on it, but the dang thing is smarter than I am.....I have been looking around at apps if you could suggest one like you describe that would be wonderful. Thank you

I finally broke down and got a cell phone because the wife finally insisted on it, but the dang thing is smarter than I am....

Ha ha!  

You beat me to it, I just edited the post slightly, so try re-reading it.  Just going to look on my phone for the app.  Also you won't learn a lot from my BLOG that you suggested earlier, that's all problems and chit chat but you might from other pages.

Phone is downstairs be back in a minute.

Carole 

From my position on earth the star or whatever it is seems to be right about 320 degrees which is almost directly NW of me. And this morning I used an app called laser level and determined it is 17-18 degrees above "level" I am able to see Mars with the naked eye fairly often but usually later in the year if memory serves. Due west of me is the Pacific Ocean and my view is limited due to the huge trees in the way. So I don't think it is Mars.

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

OK, I have something.  I went into Stellarium, plugged in your location, Gold Beach Oregon, and then put 5am into Stellarium and went to the NW horizon which is where you say your porch faces.  I found Mars in the West and this certainly glows a reddish colour.  Maybe the flashing green is some sort of atmospheric diffractionand ditto the flashing.  It seems to have to have the altitude you are describing.  

Hi Carole, you seem to have found what I found and reached the same conclusion:

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:41, JOC said:

I've looked at Stellarium on my mobile for your location with some approx. coordinates around yours.  At around 0700 and just passing from Due West towards NNW at that time there does appear to be Mars just a bit above the horizon.  I guess that could appear a bit red and low down on the horizon it would be passing through lots of atmosphere which might affect how it is seen

MInd you do you think the CXO satellite array (that I found above)  is a possibility bearing in mind the OP describes with the binoculars

1 hour ago, Olhippie said:

actually looks like I am seeing an elongated thing

This CXO looks a big chunk of long satellite.

Sky View...WOW It works in the daytime too, well at the bottom of the bears right front foot is right about where that thing is I am seeing, I must have been seeing things when I thought I saw green or blue also, but red flashes definitely.

20190131_084032-674062202.jpg

Archived