Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 mount lon and lat set up help

mckinnell

I am trying to work out my Polaris settings for my mount, the altitude T bolts seem to only work with one of them, the other is VERY! stiff indeed when it meets the bar?? inside to alter the position; Rother Valley Optics tell me i can slacken off both and just free hand it to what setting i need any way!, BUT, i am also worried about the GPS setting for my location namely Rugby in Warwickshire UK 

The horizontal settings display on the side of the NEQ6 mount seems to only go so far but with out ever getting to the end of the scale in either direction, seems that their is a block stopping it going to it fullest extent in both directions, and the Alt T Bolts are both slacked right off, i purchased the 300PDS Sky Watcher GOTO in October of 2018, so if any one can give me some advice plus which settings i should be using, i will be very very grateful indeed; i am not new to Astronomy, have been interested from 1970 on wards, but, have just come back into the interest as such and Germany equatorial mounts were not around in my day lol lol, so again my thanks for any help given.

Very best regards,         Tom..............

Hi Tom,

Firstly call me cynical but I would not post locations of you site in a public thread. 

The rear bolt on the mount will all of the work and the front bolt will lock it all into place (also will stop the head falling back too far). Make sure you have removed your scope to take the weight off and roughly point towards ncp  Roughly get polaris in the fov of the polar scope and then use the adjustment knobs to get it the best you can. You can slacken off all bolts and manually move the mount head around to find polaris and then nip then all up before final adjustment. You may find you need to physically lift and rotate the mount if polaris is too far off. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

I always move the mount to around the correct position on the scale without the bolts in and then put on tripod. Once this is done insert the bolts and tighten until both are just on the body. Then you should be able to tighten one bolt after undoing the other to adjust as needed. The bolts on my NEQ6 can be a bit tight (Have to be really careful when inserting so as not to chew the thread up, keep them nice and straight).  Once set correctly tighten up both bolts and then stick your weights on the bar (Not like me that does this first and have the thing crash down!) Maybe add a bit of lube to the screws to help with the bolts if it is really stiff, do not force them too much.

Grateful thanks to all of you guys, yes, i know what you mean about addresses, but have a great home attack creature, its called the wife lol lol lol, no, actually I am grateful as i say; BTW, i have a bad spine problem and other ailments, i am mid to late 60s, thus, getting down to the Polar scope as you can guess is a bit of a pig, did not recon on this but hope their may be a way to get down!!!!!!, i can not afford the camera that you can purchase at some £200 + that woks with your laptop still, that's life, many thanks again.

Very best regards,                          Tom.

Mark,  Job done my friend lol!.............

Not sure if you have a guide cam but you can purchase sharpcap, I think it is about £20 and will allow you to run a polar routine that is very similar to the qhy polemaster. PHD2 also has several alignment routines.

Ages ago I used a small piece of wood with a couple of cable clips nailed to it. If I fitted this to the mount clamp I could use this like a gun sight and get a rough alignment of polaris. If you are only observing with the mount then this should be okay. If you are going to be imaging then sharpcap or PHD2

Archived