Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you explain this photo of the sun?

Mezzer57

Hi, Mezzer, and welcome to SGL.

Don't know about your purple spot, although you have a matching white one to the lower left. What did you use to capture this image? What result do you get if you take another image of the sun using the same equipment/settings?

Enjoy the journey.

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Mezzer, and welcome to SGL.

Don't know about your purple spot, although you have a matching white one to the lower left. What did you use to capture this image? What result do you get if you take another image of the sun using the same equipment/settings?

Enjoy the journey.

Just an Android phone. Spot is there Everytime I look at the sun through the phone. Nephew confirmed the same phenomena through his iPhone. Just curious what it means

IMG_20190121_130528714.jpg

IMG_20190121_130523770_HDR.jpg

Looks like a lens flair and the dot is the reflected sun, the colour change is from the glasses likely, not great for the sensor to align the sun directly center... 

7 hours ago, LightBucket said:

The spot is the actual sun.... :)

It does look smaller than you might think,when you remove all the glare..

Sorry, but that dot is too small to be the actual sun.

if you buy a cheap pair of solar glasses (<£5) then you will see the actual size of the solar disk with no magnification. It’s bigger than that tiny dot.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-eclipse-observing-glasses.html

Alan

The moon with a smartphone is a tiny dot too,  for international sun day 2017 I took some on purpose lens flair shots with a cheap smartphone and these images being very similar I think the central dot is indeed a compound reflection of the sun. 

Smartphones are designed to tolorate some lens flairing but direct alignment will fry the sensor or damage it though the sensor may actually still work the image quality will be affected...

6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

A reply I just posted has just flagged up in red and labelled "hidden". What's that about?     ?

It seemed to need approving for some reason, so I've just done that. Don't know what that was about :dontknow:

5 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

A reply I just posted has just flagged up in red and labelled "hidden". What's that about?     ?

Thats interesting, the best I've got so far is a redacted word or two causing me to edit a substitution ?

4 minutes ago, John said:

It seemed to need approving for some reason, so I've just done that. Don't know what that was about :dontknow:

Just the UFO word.....

Which amusingly I have just had to approve in order for my post to appear :)

Archived