Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Star child

Syncscan coordinates and elevation

There has been older posts about this but I thought I would start a new one as it has been updated since the last post and I want to save someone the issue I have had when trying to set up their scope, also I found some of the replies to the previous questioins regarding entering the coordinates a little confusing , so to keep it short you should enter the  latitude coordinates in degrees and minutes, if, like me you got your position from something like Google maps it will give you 2 sets of coordinates, one in this format 50.968361, -1.363110 and one like this 50°58'06.1"N 1°21'47.2"W, use the latter, you dont need to worry about the seconds,  and you put in the longitude details first so it would be W 001°21  N 50°58.  Well, I think that is correct, please can someone confirm that.  i have not had chance to use mine yet becuase my first attempt was thwarted by some additional details I needed to add which was not mentioned in the manual and this is what i really wanted to make people aware off so they dont have the same problem I did, it does not mention in the manual you will have to also add your elevation (in meters), this is due to firmware update, i know it seems obvious really but I would like someone to confirm that I have put the right info in to avoid any issues when I next set it up, as i wasnt entire;ly sure how I should enter the info, my elevation is 16m  so i have put this in as +0016m is that correct?
Cheers

Yes, you are correct. 

Don't forget to use the US date format (MM/DD/YYYY) as well. 

To reduce the number of input errors, I use an android app called Synscaninit. It gets all the information it needs from your phone and presents all the fields in the same format required by Synscan. If you have a polar scope it also has a separate screen for the position of polaris on both types of skywatcher reticle. And it's free ☺ 

Cheers yes I have put the date in that format, I am a little confused about the polar thing, does it need to be polar alligned to work, it does not mention that in the manual, i thought that only applied to EQ mounts?

34 minutes ago, Star child said:

Cheers yes I have put the date in that format, I am a little confused about the polar thing, does it need to be polar alligned to work, it does not mention that in the manual, i thought that only applied to EQ mounts?

Do you have an alt-az mount ?

I think it is an alt-az mount, well FLO describe it as a AZ mount but i thought that is the same as an alt-az mount?

11 minutes ago, Star child said:

I think it is an alt-az mount, well FLO describe it as a AZ mount but i thought that is the same as an alt-az mount?

That's an alt-az mount. No need to polar align this one.

I had my first observing session with my new scope a few nights ago, I am amazed I actually got it to work! I thouht there was another problem after i got the message alignment successful I got excited thinking all was good so i thought the next step was simply to search for an object, i decided to look at Mars, (not that impressive I should have looked at it back when it was brighter) hit plenet and then got some caution message, i was not going to give up again after 2 failed attempts to get it working so i just ignored it, and then i selected mars and it started slewing, and there was Mars! I have now read the online manual and it seems it is OK to ignore that message, i should be able to stop it by changing the CE (Cone Error) and NPE (Non-Perpendicular Error) values to zero. I noticed it does not beep like its supposed to once its located the object but it maybe the beep volume is turned right down so i will try and fix that although its not a major issue. I need to improve my centering as some of the objects were a little of centre, my next purchase will be a reticle eyepiece which i think will help greatly with getting the target dead centre (I am using up and right to centre it) but out of interest does that really make that much difference? 
Well I am happy i have got some use out of the scope now, after my catastrophe with the first one! the only thing that cut my observing session short was it was to cold! 
Cant wait until the nights get a little warmer!

Can I ask what you are using to power yours? I have the same mount and I've used synscaninit to set it up, alignment went fine, then when I ask it to slew to M1/M42/3 it slews the wrong way and points north! Yet if I try it from inside it works fine! I'm wondering if it just doesn't like the cold.

Hi, I use the Skywatcher/Celestron 7ah Powertank.
No problems with the cold with that, well, i dont operate well in the cold! but maybe if it is really cold it might have problems? what temperature was it when you were using it?

I was using a generic adapter that you can adjust but it was set to 12v and tip positive, probably around 0c - 1c, I've used it before without issues though so a little strange, I've updated the firmware on the handset but failing that helping, I'm prepared to try 8 AA batteries 🤦‍♂️