Narrowband

Hubble's Variable Nebula

kerrylewis

What an interesting object Hubble's Variable Nebula is. I was drawn to it last night partly because it is named on Sky Safari (rather than just a NGC number), and also because it has been mentioned here a couple of times lately. Strangely enough both Mark ( @Mark at Beaufort) and Nick ( @cotterless45) said that they hadn't seen it before - and neither had I! 

It was easy to identify from the description of  @Littleguy80 who said 'it's like a a cartoon version of a comet' - and it is ?

I've not been able to find any data on a period of variation; in fact it seems to be fairly random. Could it be unusually bright at the moment given that a couple of experienced observers say that they haven't seen it before? I thought Nick had seen everything ? 

There are some interesting time lapse videos on Youtube which show it apparently changing shape sometimes over a fairly short timespan. Have any SGL members imaged or observed it over a an extended period?

A fascinating object, new to me,  and one I'll certainly be returning to when we get some more clear skies. 

Kerry 

Archived