Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 seconds max ?

Tonyhaz

Last night I was only able to get 10 second captures anything after I get trails,normally I do 30 secs, I use a nexstar 4se, would the problem me poor alignment? I use Polaris and Rigel, and target was Orion Nebula, iso was 1600

my images come out naff 

If you use the telescope with the build-in wedge, the problem could indeed be polar alignment. I would also make sure that the telescope+camera combination is properly balanced. ? I recall there is a good video on polar aligning Nexstar 4SE on YouTube, in case you have any issues with the process itself.

Unsure if you are imaging in Alt-Az or EQ and what optics. Agree you should be fine for longer exposures wrt field rotation (if imaging in Alt-AZ) even with Orion being SE-S-SW so your mount/equipment set up may be failing you in one or several ways. Many potential culprits. Let us know more of your set up to potentially help out ? 

Cheers,
Steve

I’ve not set up any tracking as not sure how, I didn’t use wedge as still learning, 

was just normal setup with canon 650, iso 1600, I set mount north and alignment went ok, nebula stayed in shot throughout my 2 hour shooting, but anything higher than 10 seconds caused trails, as mentioned I did 30 seconds last time. So was bit confused why it was only 10 last night. 

As you are working with an alt-az mount, all the tracking mechanism can do is keep the object centred. There will be a degree of field rotation, however, and this may vary depending on where the object is in the sky. If it is due south, the near horizontal motion of the object in the sky can be tracked readily by just moving in azimuth, resulting in comparatively little field rotation. In other locations field rotation can be more severe. As vlaiv mentioned, the tracking speed might be off, but then I wouldn't expect the nebula to stay in the FOV for that long without the occasional nudge.

Archived