Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10" F5 Newtonian on EQ mount.......

Hi,

Long time no post...  So Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday, Happy Easter etc, etc for the ones I've missed.

Right, bought the stuff listed below 3 years ago and it ain't getting used like it should (not an exhaustive list).

Scope :- Saxon 10" f4.7 Newtonian (I think it's a re-badged Skywatcher or similar ......  Same dog, more hair)
Mount:- NEQ6 Pro
Baader MkIII Coma corrector kit
Vixen Lanthanum SLV25, SLV20, SLV15 SLV6
Vixen 2xBarlow (which gives 12.5, 5, 7.5 and 3) so a decent spread from 25 to 3.
Collimator (thought it was Laser but it's not, no idea how you use it)
T2 for one of my Canon EOS bodies (can't afford a camera as yet)
Tracking scope and usb camera.
ND filter
OIII Filter
And a few other bits and pieces and filters.
Set of 4 upgraded replacement Lat/AZ bolts from Astro Developments after reading about bending bolts being fairly normal over time with this mount.

Canon EOS 5D full frame.

Canon EOS 600D

Sigma 70-200 1:2.8 DG HSM EX APO

Sigma 18-50 1:2.8 DC EX

8mm Rokinon Manual lens

So you think I'd be happy with that lot Y/N?

Well the problem is the size of the scope, it's 5 feet long and a foot wide (quite large really), not very light and it's biggest problem after you've stuck it on an NEQ6, as must be with all Newts on an EQ mount,  is playing chase the eyepiece.

It is always in an uncomfortable position anywhere between kneeling on the floor to standing on a ladder every time you acquire another target and usually the scope has to be rotated in the rings to get anywhere close to looking into the eyepiece regardless of wherever it ends up.

It makes pure observation (unless just on one item) a tedious exercise and not a pleasurable operation.

So, time to Bin the Newt and buy what I should have bought in the first place a Celestron C9.25

I have read loads about putting a 2" back on the C9 but I have all 1.25" EP's so what would be the advantage of  more expense on a 2" back, 2" diagonal and a 2"-1.25" adapter?

Thought Gentlemen and Ladies?

On swapping the 10" Newt for a C9 SCT....  and the 2" visual back thing......

Regards and Thanks in advance

S_C.

Please find attached a non-processed (apart from size reduction) 45 sec exposure on camera tripod with the 600D and the Rokinon 8mm,

It was pitch black apart from the light from 2 or 3 heavily curtained windows.

IMG_0075.jpg

2 hours ago, Southern_Cross said:

chase the eyepiece.

Hi.

Add an extra rube ring -which is not attached to the dovetail- with the existing rings loosened so that you can rotate the tube with ease.

2 hours ago, Southern_Cross said:

a Celestron C9.25

I think you'd find that disappointingly dim by comparison with your Newtonian; do a side by side before you decide.

HTH and clear skies.

I have both a 8" Newtonian on  an equatorial mount, and a Celestron C8 on an altazimuth GoTo mount.  I find the Newt almost unusable compared with the C8 for the reasons you cite in your post.  You would certainly find a C9.25 easier to use (and it doesn't need a EQ-6 mount ?).

You just need to decide whether a slight loss of aperture and slightly larger central obstruction will be acceptable in order to get a scope that is a pleasure to use.  A SCT has a much greater range of focus - a useful feature. Just note that the field of view will be a lot smaller because of the longer focal ratio.

The best scope is the one that gets used.

Hi, Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

I think I'd rather have a good scope that will get used rather than one that would be great if it wasn't so awkward to use.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention this when you buy a scope, that you will struggle to get access to the eyepiece on a large reflector on an EQ mount?  I don't ever remember seeing it discussed anywhere, it's just assumed you are well aware of this phenomenon and have decided that's the route for you.

I think I'll be getting a C9, If I could afford a C11 or C14 I'd get one of them but it's only affordable to replace the 10" with a C9 at present.

Also what quality is the supplied diagonal with the C9? 

Is it worth replacing?

Then I also have the problem of explaining 'what's in that big box that's just arrived with Celestron printed on it'? 

Don't they make Telescopes? 

You've already got one that you don't use so please don't tell me you are buying another one?

I will keep the NEQ6 as it will be easier in NZ to just to try and sell the scope, and the NEQ6 Pro should be ideal for Astro Photography.

I have found B&H in New York to be the cheapest for a new C9 as their delivery is very reasonable to NZ.

Scope cost (in USD) $1299.95, Shipping to NZ $132.51...  Total of $1432.46usd = $2,096.44 nzd.

Cheapest price to buy the same scope in NZ $2,849.00 + delivery...

The NZ retailer class it as a 'special order' and as such it's pay all up front, a minimum of 3-4 week wait for dispatch (subject to availability) and once you order it, it's non-cancellable and when you get it it's not returnable..... hows that for Good Customer Service?

BUT, if anyone is selling a decent used one or a Meade and is willing to ship it to NZ..........

Only really require the OTA, but everything will be considered.

Regards and many Thanks

S_C.

1 hour ago, Southern_Cross said:

Also what quality is the supplied diagonal with the C9

No idea, but my used C8 came with a nice 1.25" prism diagonal #94115-A, apparently original, which seems perfectly okay.

All diagonals should give an adequate performance - according to a multi-diagonal review I read they should all have sufficient surface accuracy.  If you pay more you will get one with a better made body, and if it's a mirror diagonal and you pay more, the coating may reflect light more efficiently or last longer.

25 minutes ago, ashortfallofgravitas said:

Why did you buy an EQ mount if you're using it for visual?

The OP is probably new to the hobby and wasn't aware that Newtonians on an equatorial mount used for visual observing are a thing of the devil. As he quite reasonably asks why wasn't he made aware of this when buying the kit?

5 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

The OP is probably new to the hobby and wasn't aware that Newtonians on an equatorial mount used for visual observing are a thing of the devil. As he quite reasonably asks why wasn't he made aware of this when buying the kit?

That's fair.  OP, on the other hand, you've got a hell of a kit for AP... get yourself a nice camera - or your DSLR will do nicely

On 29/01/2019 at 23:56, Southern_Cross said:

Also what quality is the supplied diagonal with the C9? 

Is it worth replacing?

Hi Southern_Cross,

I purchased a 2" Baader Clicklock Mirror Diagonal for may 11" Celestron CPC 1100 because I wanted a wider field. However with the Baader 2"36mm Aspheric Hyperion eyepiece ans a Celestron 6.3 reducer the stars were not round to the edge of the field. I can't say for certain the views were better than the stock diagonal either. 

Best

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I spent many years using a 6.25" Newtonian on a much smaller un-driven EQ mount in the UK and never had any real problems at all with that setup for visual use.

What I wasn't aware of is just how impossible to use for visual work a 5 foot Newt on a much bigger driven EQ mount would be.

When I moved to NZ (given the amount of Targets in the Southern Hemisphere none of which I'd ever seen before, and the unpolluted dark skies) this kit was bought with AP in mind as was the full frame D5, I never even gave a second thought about there being any problem using it for observing and I had never seen anything published on the subject.

There were a lot of articles on Filed Rotation problems with AP and Alt-Az mounts and as I had already used an un-driven EQ for years I went for that.

Shoulda gota C9....

One thing I will say about the Southern Hemisphere is that the moon and Orion are upside down compared with how they looked in the Northern Hemisphere, something else that doesn't even cross your mind 'till you notice it for the first time.

Also Christmas is in the middle of summer here, so Robins and snow covered houses and trees on cards are a bit weird when the temp can be 30C+ outside.

Cheers

Archived