SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

It might be windy but what a night.

Mark at Beaufort

I initially set up the Dob to check on the inward focus of my 2" EPs. Although quite windy the Dob was reasonably protected at the far end of the garden. 

I started with 2 clusters from the Caldwell list 54 (NGC 2506) and 58 (NGC 2360). I then moved up to take in M35 and the nearby NGC 2158. I also took in the Rosette Neb using a Castell O-III in both the 20mm Myraid and a 30mm Revelation EP. With the O-III still in placed viewed NGC 2349 (Thor's Helmet) and the PN (NGC 2438) in M46. Removed O-III and observed M47.

There are some wonderful delights in Monoceros of which one I have never seen. The Hubble Variable Neb (NGC 2261) is easy to find but for some reason I have never observed it. What a mistake -  this Neb was so clear in the 12" Dob using both the 13mm Ethos and 9mm Myraid.

Feeling lucky I attempted another object missing from my observing list - NGC 2163 - 62 Cederblad which is also No:35 on the Hidden Treasurers book. This is a very small Reflection Neb in Orion and its difficult to see. I spent some trying to see it and returned many times during the night and although I think I observed it with averted vision I am not totally sure.

Staying in the general area I viewed NGC 2174 (Monkey Neb) using an Astronomik O-III

I thought I would check out a few doubles including two favourites - Beta Monoceros and the Trapezium where I detected both the E and F stars.

Ended the night trying to view the SN in NGC 3254. Leo Minor was rising above the house but facing towards the Hereford LP and although I could see the galaxy I could not really detect the location stars and the SN.

So although the night did not look promising because of the strong wind I am glad that I took the opportunity to observe in a clear sky.

hi Mark,

Yes it got quite windy at one stage last night here too, but that seemed to help blow the clouds away (of which there were many until around midnight. I only had a small refractor to cope with so not a big issue for me apart from being uncomfortable. After midnight clear skies like we dream of so I am also glad I persisted with the clouds and wind. Shame it was Monday and work to go to otherwise would have stayed up longer went to bed around 2:00. Sounds like you had a good session too ? 

Steve

Lovely , glad you got NGC 2261. There are lots of hidden treasures up there . Still attracted to NGC 2301 ( Hagrid's dragon, another Hershel discovery .

Sometimes I spend a whole evening not moving from Monoceros, yet by eye I can't see a single star of the constellation !

clear skies ! Nick.

2 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Still attracted to NGC 2301 ( Hagrid's dragon, another Hershel discovery .

Sometimes I spend a whole evening not moving from Monoceros, yet by eye I can't see a single star of the constellation !

clear skies ! Nick.

Nick I just looked up NGC2301 and it appears that I last observed it in January 2012.  It states that it will be clear later so I will take out the 6" Newt and revisit the cluster. So thanks for the 'heads up'.

Since posting I have noticed that NGC2301 is no.39 in Steve O'Meara's Hidden Treasurers which I first observed in 2009.

Sounds like a good night. Might I be allowed to correct one thing?

NGC 2438 is *not* the Calabash Nebula. The Calabash Nebula is 6.5' in PA 78 degrees (slightly north of east) from NGC 2438. The two objects (though both appear to be in M46) are not associated. The CN is the same distance as M46, but NGC 2438 is some way behind it. It is also much smaller and very much fainter than NGC 2438. 

The attached picture shows the planetary nebula in the top left and the CN in the bottom right.

NGC2438.JPG

Archived