Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5L-ii dead RIP

Jammy

I've plugged my QHY5L-ii mono guide camera into the USB2 hub on my new ZWO ASI 1600mm, and this worked a couple of times to for daytime focusing to get the distances right on my OAG.

I tried again today and unfortunately the guide cam has stopped working.  It worked briefly, then windows said that it had lost connection.  The red light has gone out.  I've tried reinstalling the native and ASCOM drivers, but nothing works.  I've tried connecting directly to two different PC's with different cables and windows doesn't recognize that anything is attached to the USB.  No light on the camera, so assume it's died.

I've seen another post on Cloudy Nights where someone has done the same thing connecting this guide cam through the USB hub on the ZWO camera and their QHY5L-ii also died.

Anyone else had this issue, or read similar anywhere?  Wish I'd read that forum post before hand!!

My QHY 5Lii mono died a while back.  The USB socket connections to the circuit board broke and I wasn't able to repair them.  The very heavy duty cable supplied with the camera may have been a contributing factor to the failure but the soldered connections on the socket mounts didn't look very good when I plucked up courage to open the camera case.  

1 hour ago, almcl said:

I went with a ZWO ASI 120 mini which,so far, has been fine.  It came with a much lighter USB cable with the reversible C plug on the cmera end. Thiscseems a much better idea. 

Would you say it picks up just as many stars as the QHY5L-ii did?

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Would you say it picks up just as many stars as the QHY5L-ii did?

Yes, I can see very little difference between the two in terms of sensitivity.  Always several stars to choose from even when using my OAG at 909 mm F/L.

Archived