Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Craig123

Best modded Canon dslr

Hi all

I have come to this point the wrong way round in some ways as  my Sony mirorless wasn't working well with my set up so I got an Atik 314 mono for use on an SW Ed80. I've enjoyed the Atik but could do with a faster set up when there are clouds looming as I've got narrowband filters in my wheel I haven't got anything for 3 months! 

What Canon would fit the bill for my scope on an Heq5.. Second hand or new. Please post any images too if you have to hand. Thanks

Edited by Craig123

The canon 450d is a very popular choice as its cheap. I'd personally spend the extra money and get a 600d as it has a swivel screen which makes focusing and checking images so much easier 

Go for an articulated screen so 600d onwards, I have the 700d but only because I had one anyway and had it sent off to Juan to have it modified. My profile pic was taken with my modded 700d

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

The canon 450d is a very popular choice as its cheap. I'd personally spend the extra money and get a 600d as it has a swivel screen which makes focusing and checking images so much easier 

Thanks. 450d is a crop sensor model.. Is that a better choice than full frame for a scope like an Ed80? 

2 minutes ago, Handy_Andy said:

Go for an articulated screen so 600d onwards, I have the 700d but only because I had one anyway and had it sent off to Juan to have it modified. My profile pic was taken with my modded 700d

Very handy to know thanks. Great pic aswell.. Only a tiny bit of that target  would fit on my Atik which is another reason for me to look seriously at this option. What kind of exposure times and number of subs for a pic like that using the 700d..can you remember? 

3 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks. 450d is a crop sensor model.. Is that a better choice than full frame for a scope like an Ed80? 

Depends on the FOV you want, and also FF cameras are more expensive than APS-C. So you'd be looking at a 6D modified if you were intending to go FF.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smr said:

Depends on the FOV you want, and also FF cameras are more expensive than APS-C. So you'd be looking at a 6D modified if you were intending to go FF.

I remember at some point being told a full frame wouldn't be good for my set up but I can't remember why.. It was by someone knowledgeable.. I think🤔

Edited by Craig123

Modded 450D user here.......love it!!! Apparently its not as noisy as the 600D.

Alan

Barnards Loop+ Belt stars.jpg

Edited by Vixen4eva
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vixen4eva said:

Alan

Looks great Alan. I've just been looking at the prices of the different models. Good stuff

1 hour ago, Craig123 said:

I remember at some point being told a full frame wouldn't be good for my set up but I can't remember why.. It was by someone knowledgeable.. I think🤔

Very few scopes have large enough corrected field to exploit FF sensor. By using FF sensor on scope that does not provide enough field, and I'm not talking vignetting here, by fully corrected field I mean star shapes / curvature / other funny things that happen in outer regions, you will probably end up cropping your image because of poor stars in corners. Why go FF then, when you'll end up with usable field that is nicely covered by APS-C or such?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig123 said:

The optics of the ed80 won't cover a full frame camera

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Very few scopes have large enough corrected field to exploit FF sensor. By using FF sensor on scope that does not provide enough field, and I'm not talking vignetting here, by fully corrected field I mean star shapes / curvature / other funny things that happen in outer regions, you will probably end up cropping your image because of poor stars in corners. Why go FF then, when you'll end up with usable field that is nicely covered by APS-C or such?

Thanks Vlaiv.. That is exactly what I was told. Thanks for jogging my memory. I use a reducer with my Atik so would this also be something to consider with a crop sensor Canon. 

4 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

The optics of the ed80 won't cover a full frame camera

Thanks.. I tried my FF Sony A7s on the ED80 and it wasn't great. Quite a few things seemed off.. but I didn't really know why. I got an Atik and forgot about Dslr/mirorless for a while

Only just got my first modded DSLR, a 450D. Although I have zero to compare it to, I'm in love with it already. I also have an unmodded 700D that I'm thinking of having modded. More for ease of use with the articulated screen than anything else.

2 hours ago, Vixen4eva said:

Alan

Beautiful image btw, loving all that red in there, exactly the reason I got the 450D :) 

I use an unmodified 200d which has an articulated screen and is very sensitive, I also use it for general photography. I also have an unmodded 450D that I'm considering modding myself, I use APT and not having an articulated screen isn't an issue as I do everything looking at my laptop screen.