Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Hi everyone, just looking to get into astrophotography but looking at a DSLR as I'd like to use it for daytime use too, I know usually it's better for them to be modified but I've seen this can be done to allow use for both with only white balance adjustment. 

I've seen 1300d's going around £200 on eBay with the 18-55mm lens but the 4000d is a couple of years newer and there is currently one with 18-55mm + 75-300mm going for £350 at Currys. From what I can work out there isn't much difference between them besides a smaller screen on the 4000d and the release date. I'm just wondering if there is some reason people go for the 1300d instead or is it just because of it being older it turns up cheaper?

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm doing lots of research to make sure I get the best one that'll last me the longest, thanks for any help.

Hi, if also looking at second hand then the 600d is better as it has a useful articulated screen.

Hi

I'm not sure but I think the 4000 may not / doesn't have an AC connection (better than battery for long exposure astrophotography), although a case could be made for astronomizing it (battery as AC source w/ a cigarette socket). I went for a 2000 after "repairing" my 1000.

- Andy -

There is a 600d on E Bay with only 3000 shutter count for £185. Get the camera with the highest DIGIC that you can.

Peter

I too would look at the 600D/650D/700D range of cameras they are all a significant step up from the 1300D or 4000D, have a look at the used prices on MPB Photographic (I buy quite a few lenses from them).

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-600d/

Alan

Thanks for all the advice, it's gave me a whole new avenue of cameras to explore, the prices of them on mpb.com don't look to bad but am I right in thinking they only sell the body and no lenses with them?

EDIT: Just had a look and it seems they do some of the basic lenses for around £40 so I guess that's not too bad then.

Edited by Pullock

50 minutes ago, Pullock said:

Thanks for all the advice, it's gave me a whole new avenue of cameras to explore, the prices of them on mpb.com don't look to bad but am I right in thinking they only sell the body and no lenses with them?

EDIT: Just had a look and it seems they do some of the basic lenses for around £40 so I guess that's not too bad then.

The prices on MPB and Wex Photographic are only a bit more than you pay on E-bay but they are usually very accurate with their descriptions and being big companies have a better returns policy if things go wrong..

Alan

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The prices on MPB and Wex Photographic are only a bit more than you pay on E-bay but they are usually very accurate with their descriptions and being big companies have a better returns policy if things go wrong..

Alan

That's good to know, thanks. Having that piece of mind if something goes wrong is helpful, some of the ones I'm looking at on MPB are actually cheaper than eBay, who'd have thought?

• Like 1

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I checked the 4000d side by side with a used 600d.

The screen resolution of the 4000d is much lower. It looks and feels cheaply made compared to the 600d. The lens mount is plastic on the 4000d, this might be ok with the kit lens mounted forever on, but not so good if you swap the lens with the telescope or a larger lens all the time. The wifi feature is pretty nice but on the other hand the 4000d comes with a digic4+ processor instead of the digic4 which should be a bit better but not yet cracked by the Magic Lantern guys.

Although similarly priced, I went for the 5000 clicks used 600d. Mpb.com is good place to look. Hope I helped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I checked the 4000d side by side with a used 600d.

The screen resolution of the 4000d is much lower. It looks and feels cheaply made compared to the 600d. The lens mount is plastic on the 4000d, this might be ok with the kit lens mounted forever on, but not so good if you swap the lens with the telescope or a larger lens all the time. The wifi feature is pretty nice but on the other hand the 4000d comes with a digic4+ processor instead of the digic4 which should be a bit better but not yet cracked by the Magic Lantern guys.

Although similarly priced, I went for the 5000 clicks used 600d. Mpb.com is good place to look. Hope I helped.

Thanks that helps a lot, a plastic lens mount really knocks my confidence in it, I'm leaning towards a 700D at the moment, there's just so much choice!

On MPB at the moments, there are a number of 60D's, which are the bigger brother to the 600D's (of which I have two), at some very tempting prices.

FYI, Canon's off the shelf Astro camera, the 60DA, i.e. a 60D with IR Filter already removed....

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone, I pulled the trigger on a 700D in 'Excellent' condition, it honestly looks brand new to me and I'm very pleased with it. I also got a Tamron 70-300mm lens which was primarily for attempts at shooting planes with it, however that will turn out anyway. It certainly isn't a good lens for around the house but I may pick up a standard kit lens in the near future. For now I just need to wait for my T-ring adapter to arrive to use with my telescopes but the forecast is looking quite promising later tonight (On the same day I got a new piece of equipment, I think this is unheard of?!) So I think I may set it up on my tripod and see what happens just to get familiar with things, I'm not expecting much but I'm really excited and seeing this being another money pit. Thanks everyone, Clear Skies!

canon.thumb.jpg.7c26f5f3010421798eebc215af68336f.jpg

That looks great, enjoy.

First thing to do is turn of in camera noise suppression on long exposure. It will be in the custom menus.

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That looks great, enjoy.

First thing to do is turn of in camera noise suppression on long exposure. It will be in the custom menus.

I was watching a video about settings and they also mentioned it as I read your post, Long exposure noise reduction is off, I guess that's correct?

Nice camera, I had a 650D for ages and it was a great piece of kit, if you go for the kit 18-55 mm lens in the future get the IS version or better still the STM one as they work better indoors but they are all surprisingly good for the money.

Alan

15 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice camera, I had a 650D for ages and it was a great piece of kit, if you go for the kit 18-55 mm lens in the future get the IS version or better still the STM one as they work better indoors but they are all surprisingly good for the money.

Alan

Thanks for that, I'm still yet to learn what all the different abbreviations are, appreciate it.