Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Outters4 and SH2-129 (Calamar and Flying Bat)

psemil

I have imaged very dim nebulas, like Cocoon and Eagle Head, but I have never seen a nebula which is invisible in 30' subs... The first glimpse of this nebula are seen after 5 hours of integration.
The Ha nebula is a little brighter , but not as bright as expected so I found that showing details of it was never going to be easy.
I imaged most of the data in holiday in Greece, but because the moon during that span was decreasing from 80% to 20%, to make most of the clear sky, I imaged almost all Ha data with the moon low in the sky and the O3 data without the moon presence.

get.jpg?insecure

If you have any suggestion about processing please let me know.

Thanks for watching

Emil

Excellent image, I totally agree over the OU4 Oxygen component of this target.  I am still struggling with it even after 2 hours 50 minutes in 600 and 1200 secs binned Oiii - that's equivalent to 40 minutes unbinned subs, I am STILL only seeing the brightest bits of the Squid.

So looks like I have a fair few hours to go on your experience.

Carole 

Very impressive image.

I have a similar amount of time on this object with 1800s subs as well, but my skies and processing skills mean I don't get anything near your image.

The O3 is not bad its the ha I am struggling with and I am going to give it another try.

My plan and suggestion is to get more data and see what the result is.

Well done!

I've had a brief go at this.  I saw nothing at all with a 12nm filter and binned subs.  I've managed only 2 10 minute binned subs with a 3nm filter, and it is clearly there.  Unfortunately, it has now disappeared behind trees, so I will have to wait a few months before I have another go.

Thanks a lot for your good words.

Yes this is a realy dificult nebula... 

Carole the bined exposure, is a good ideea. Because of the low brightness and high level of noise when streching I made a lot of noise reduction on the O3 channel. So the overal sharpness is similar to bined exposure.

Ibbo, Ruud, I processed the nebula after removing the stars, that is the only secret. It allowed me to extra strech the O3 Channel, adding that image to the less streched stars.

Archived