Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
astrosathya

Collimation or Something else?

Hello Everyone,

I have a GSO 6" f/4 Astrograph, and there's always been this issue with elongated stars on one edge. I've checked collimation and it is perfect, but for the elongation on one corner. Could someone please throw some light on what's happening

Gamma Vellorum JPEG.jpg

It could be tilt, have you got a tilt plate adapter? Recheck the seating of your filter wheel and camera.

Are you using a dew heater on either mirror, I had some very odd shapes on my stars due to the dew heater warping the mirror from the heaters being to hot?

CCD Inspector seems to suggest that there is something amiss with your optics: -

image.png.776c1da9d4a513a8657473bf785f5a08.pngimage.png.964e1ea14696ea7ac3353ea56669ddb6.png

Quite how you are going to fix this will need some thinking about.

How tight is your primary in its cell? Manufacturers tend to have them too tight when assembled at the factory. The mirror should be reasonably free moving.  😀

On 26/01/2019 at 16:48, Jkulin said:

It could be tilt, have you got a tilt plate adapter? Recheck the seating of your filter wheel and camera.

Are you using a dew heater on either mirror, I had some very odd shapes on my stars due to the dew heater warping the mirror from the heaters being to hot?

CCD Inspector seems to suggest that there is something amiss with your optics: -

image.png.776c1da9d4a513a8657473bf785f5a08.pngimage.png.964e1ea14696ea7ac3353ea56669ddb6.png

Quite how you are going to fix this will need some thinking about.

Hi John, I don't use dew heaters on either mirror. The mirror clamps aren't tight either. I am suspecting that the focuser isn't square to the tube. The Filter wheel and CCD are fine because I use them with my 80ED and haven't noticed any odd stars.

22 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

How tight is your primary in its cell? Manufacturers tend to have them too tight when assembled at the factory. The mirror should be reasonably free moving.  😀

not tight at all. I made sure of that when I removed and replaced it. Its not pinched.

• Thanks 1

That's good to know, tightness is so often the cause of such issues.   😀

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By floastro
      Hi guys,
      This is the first lights of my ASA 12"N f/3.62 (purchased in 2007) with my Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera using one KAF-16803 chip of 36mm x 36mm (4K x 4K).
      The adjustments, collimation, ASA OK3-Z pression screws, asked a lot of attention.
      For a precise collimation, i use the CATSEYE XL & XLKP kit.
      This is the first 3hrs of exposures taken the last weekend in one night. The second night was too windy unfortunately.

Full Resolution image in 4K x 4K here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/integration_NGC4438_DBE_3HDR_CompositeAplatie2_Spikes2-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Full Resolution Annotated image here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/NGC4438_new_image_Annotated.jpg

All the information below :

Enjoy !
      Florent 😀
    • By Kronos831
      Hey guys,im currently on a school trip and brought my celestron firstscope with, tonight we ll  be trying some dsos and maybe saturn and jupiter,the telescope itself is not collimated and dirty (on the mirrors)So I wanted to ask.in the scope, there is no primary adjustment screws,only the ones to take it off .Does that mean that its set , allowing me to take it off wash it and back on without having to recollimate the primary?
      Thanks
      Kronos
    • By Demonperformer
      To put this in perspective, I bought my first SCT nearly ten years ago. And in all that time, there has been one word that has scared me witless (no, that's not a spelling mistake ) ... collimation!!!!
      There are so many horror strories around of people scratching corrector plates and simply messing it up completely and making a scope unusable, that I have always avoided it like the plague ... once even preferring to sell the scope I had and buy another one to avoid having to do it [don't you just love the logic of that one?particularly when there is no guarantee they will arrive collimated!]. I've always belonged to the "I don't care about winning, I just don't want to lose" brigade.
      Six months ago, I bought an RC6 and recently picked-up a cheshire eyepiece. No corrector plate ("But don't drop the allen key into the tube," the websites warn!). If I'm ever going to do this, now is the time. A quick look earlier this week showed the dot well out of position, so yesterday ... I procrastinated ... o come on, you didn't think it was going to be that easy, did you? But there are clear skies predicted for tonight, so this morning I went outside, set up my NEQ6, plonked the RC6 onto it, pointed it slightly downwards and went and made a cup of coffee. Returning to the scope I started to have a play.
      I kid you not. In less time than it had taken me to set up (excluding the coffee), I had the black dot slap-bang in the middle of my white circle. The allen bolts were tight, yes, but not "wheel-nut" tight; not "you need three feet of metal bar wrapped around the allen key to lean on in order to loosen it" tight. And yes, my first move was in the wrong direction ... so what??? It was so monumentally, stupidly easy ... why all the horror stories on the internet?
      Am I pleased I set it up outside where there was plenty of space, rather than struggling in the lounge? Yes. Am I pleased I got a cheshire so I could do it in daylight? Yes. Were the ten years of worry that I had endured dreading this day a waste of energy? You bet!
      So my message is to anyone who looks at the word "collimation" and immediately becomes a rabbit in headlights ... Action Cures Fear ... seriously, just do it ... if I can do it, ANYONE can.
    • By Kronos831
      Guys , i am so frustrated .I can't collimate my newt. I m here with my chesire eyepiece trying to adjust the secondary but when i turn the  centre screw, the mirror moves a lot and then shifts back to where it was. And turning the little screws arouns it ddnt so much either. I don't have much time before my session (2 hrs) pls help
      VID_20190324_202528.mp4
    • By AntoineDemangeat
      Hello everyone, 
      As a farely new member and astronomer, I've decided to seek help for collimation. 
      The task seems pretty daunting at first but I think I got the basics down. 
      Unfortunately I cannot find any answers for the questions I have, so here it is: Is it 'normal' to see the focuser's end? 
      As you can see in the attached picture (poor quality, let me know if I should do another) we can see a rectangle at the left, the focuser.
      I don't think I should be seeing this and I don't know what causes the problem since the secondary 'seems' to be aligned and the doughnut is dead center. 
      I'm using a XT10 and the focuser is all the way in. 
      Thanks for your precious time, 
      Antoine

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.