Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
astrosathya

Collimation or Something else?

Hello Everyone,

I have a GSO 6" f/4 Astrograph, and there's always been this issue with elongated stars on one edge. I've checked collimation and it is perfect, but for the elongation on one corner. Could someone please throw some light on what's happening

Gamma Vellorum JPEG.jpg

It could be tilt, have you got a tilt plate adapter? Recheck the seating of your filter wheel and camera.

Are you using a dew heater on either mirror, I had some very odd shapes on my stars due to the dew heater warping the mirror from the heaters being to hot?

CCD Inspector seems to suggest that there is something amiss with your optics: -

image.png.776c1da9d4a513a8657473bf785f5a08.pngimage.png.964e1ea14696ea7ac3353ea56669ddb6.png

Quite how you are going to fix this will need some thinking about.

How tight is your primary in its cell? Manufacturers tend to have them too tight when assembled at the factory. The mirror should be reasonably free moving.  ?

On 26/01/2019 at 16:48, Jkulin said:

It could be tilt, have you got a tilt plate adapter? Recheck the seating of your filter wheel and camera.

Are you using a dew heater on either mirror, I had some very odd shapes on my stars due to the dew heater warping the mirror from the heaters being to hot?

CCD Inspector seems to suggest that there is something amiss with your optics: -

image.png.776c1da9d4a513a8657473bf785f5a08.pngimage.png.964e1ea14696ea7ac3353ea56669ddb6.png

Quite how you are going to fix this will need some thinking about.

Hi John, I don't use dew heaters on either mirror. The mirror clamps aren't tight either. I am suspecting that the focuser isn't square to the tube. The Filter wheel and CCD are fine because I use them with my 80ED and haven't noticed any odd stars.

22 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

How tight is your primary in its cell? Manufacturers tend to have them too tight when assembled at the factory. The mirror should be reasonably free moving.  ?

not tight at all. I made sure of that when I removed and replaced it. Its not pinched.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Simple-Human
      Hi, Just wondering whether collimation is necessary on a smaller Telescope like mine (https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-76-700-astrolux-az-1/p,5010#tab_bar_1_select)? If so, how often do you need to do it, and how do you know when it needs doing? Any other tips on how to do it are welcome. 
    • By joelshort
      Note: This scope is in the USA, so international shipping may prohibit a sale. However, without the heavy Scopeguard case the shipping cost will be substantially reduced.
      I can provide a full frame image taken with this scope if anyone is interested.
      Reduced to £3155 for the complete package.  I will consider offers, but this is already close to my bottom price.
      I’ve decided to sell my Takahashi Epsilon Ɛ-180. The scope and optics are in good cosmetic and optical shape. There are a few minor tool marks around the collimation screws but otherwise no issues. The primary mirror is centered with a Catseye Hotspot.
      The scope will come with the Takahashi corrector, rings and top plate ($457 add-on), front cover, Scopeguard case ($500 add-on), BT Technologies dovetail bar ($150 add-on) (has a blemish but is super solid), Astrozap dew shield and cap with focus mask ($175 ad-on), Precise Parts Tak corrector to M48 adapter ($110 add-on), the Takahashi collimation tools, an M68x1 male to M54x0.75 female and a M54x0.75 male to 2" compression ring adapter ($100? add-on) (these allow you to use the scope visually with 2" eyepieces.)
      I replaced the stock focuser (included) with an Optec TCF-Leo focuser with temp probe. With the included scope adapter and Tak corrector adapter this is a $1400 add-on.
      Total new cost = £5900
      All of this for £3155 plus shipping.

• By GTom
      I am thinking on grinding my own lightweight mirror (first f4 16", later f4 24"). The lightest and cheapest option is to get a thin blank and slump it in a decent kiln.
      Anyone has longer term experiene with slumped mirrors? Overall doesn't seem to be more work than a normal (not pregenerated) blank.
      Do I have to grind the backside as in case of normal flat back mirrors to avoid astigmatism? How do people support a convex back while grinding? Does it make sense to grind a hole in the middle for additional support? I am remotely considering a convertible Newtonian/Cassegrain system anyway...
    • By Kevin Francis
      Purchased the Orion Astroview 6 three years ago.  Found out later that I could not attach my Canon EOS XTi and obtain focus.  Everything I saw online required sawing and drilling the OTA.  That makes the scope a single purpose telescope.  After reviewing the primary mirror holder I created a holder that moved the mirror 25 mm.  This way I can keep the scope ready for visual observing and sell later if I desire.  If you're interested in saving a few dollars in this hobby check out the link below.
      How I Moved Prime Focus: Link to the detail.
      Photo from this telescope

• By rorymultistorey
      So I picked up a classic... a 1970's - 80's edmund optics f6 150mm newtonian...

... like this one but mine has a different mount. It was cheap. Very good condition. The focuser is pants. The mechanics of the secondary holder is (IMHO) brilliant and apparently the primary is 1/10th wave.
      But its f6 and I trhink I'd rather swap it out for a faster synta f5 mirror. .  The thing is its a one shot job bc to make the f5 mirror work I will have to saw off a good few cm from the barrel of the scope.
      So the question is: Is a high quality f6 mirror better than a faster synta f5 mirror for wide deep space astrophotograhy?

All comments gratefully received. 😉 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.