Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3-2 upgrade

steviebee

I have a nearly new EQ3-2 mount and tripod. I have been looking at adding the enhanced duel axis drives and came across an article by stan26 going back to 2012 where he was able to guide the set up using his laptop. He used 'PHD' software. Is this software still available, or is there an alternative now? I dont really want to go to the EQ3 pro upgrade kit and I do not have the funds for a HEQ5. I have looked at EQMOD, but it seems as though availability is as and when. I would like to keep the EQ3 for portability reasons. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. TIA

Yes to all the software, still being available, but all updated....

I take it, currently your mount is non-motorised & non-goto ?  If so then you are also looking at buying & mounting stepper motors together with a control system. For the latter, I'd recommend Tom Carpenters, AstroEq (https://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php), which will also guide you trough the whole process of which motors to buy etc...

If it already has motors & a goto system, then you simply buy a USB to Serial adaptor (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-usb-to-serial-adapter-for-sky-watcher-handsets-5m.html) which replaces the hand controller and connects the mount to the computer.

20 minutes ago, steviebee said:

I have a nearly new EQ3-2 mount and tripod. I have been looking at adding the enhanced duel axis drives and came across an article by stan26 going back to 2012 where he was able to guide the set up using his laptop. He used 'PHD' software. Is this software still available, or is there an alternative now? I dont really want to go to the EQ3 pro upgrade kit and I do not have the funds for a HEQ5. I have looked at EQMOD, but it seems as though availability is as and when. I would like to keep the EQ3 for portability reasons. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. TIA

PHD is now PHD2.

Archived