Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hello all!

I just installed this Lacerta 1:10 Micro Transmission focuser on my 8” Skywatcher Dobsonian. It is a direct replacement for the stock focuser and works extremely well. I was surprised at how easy it was to install! Ordered it from 365Astronomy and got fast shipping.

2D56205C-83E8-426D-96E0-D7C46C90D86F.jpeg

AA32E233-E410-4221-AFA8-7D6CB5A1E598.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

I have used one of these in the past, and they are a very fine addition, easily fitted as you say, and at little cost.

clear skies:smiley:

• Like 1

Have it on my dob as well - made quite of difference.

• Like 1

It is geared so that it takes multiple turns of the micro focuser to rotate the "normal" focuser knob once. Usually the ratio is around the 10:1 mark. This gives you finer focus control. Faster focal ratio telescopes and shorter focal length eyepieces or astrophotographers benefit most from the addition. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

Newbie question that Google hasn't helped answer - what is a micro-focuser, and how does it help?

It allows for "fine tuning" of the focuser.

I wanted one, and was scared to take my focusser apart, they are also reasonably costly and I kept missing out on the sales of secondhand Lacerta's on SGL so I went for this option for fine control IMG_4112a.jpg

As you can see it's just a big knob that my Bro made for me on his lathe from a block of metal, but although it isn't as good as the Lacerta might be it certainly gives me better control than I had previously

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Simple-Human
      Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the pro's and con's of the different types of mounts out there? Do Dobsonian mounts have issues on non-flat surfaces (like a garden) or can Equatorial mounts ever have issues getting out of line too easily?
    • By Piero
      Very happy with it! Wish the sky were clear, but as we all know, when we buy astro equipment, it's cloudy! Argh!
      The telescope was collected from David Lukehurst at noon and then we travelled back to Cambridge. 
      John Nichol primary mirror: 37mm thickness, Suprax. Hilux coated. Optics 1/8 PV wavefront  1/27 wave RMS. Strehl .95. Secondary mirror: 62mm MA.
      Here a few photos:

• By merlin100
      I'm tempted to go down the route of getting myself a brand new reflector...  My friend's old Meade 114/900 is a good telescope, but I want something of my own and with a bit more light gathering power.  To this end, I've been looking at a couple of different models and manufactures.  
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-explorer-130.html
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130m.html
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meade-Instruments-Polaris-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B01FG8JEGG
      I must admit, the Skywatcher Explorer 130M floats my boat, as it's motorised with a speed controller.
      Any thoughts or observations?🤔
    • By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) - now including dovetail bar and scope rings looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another refractor, WO, Equinox or even toward an Esprit. However, I would also consider p/ex for an Intel NUC and/or Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By markastro
      Hi,

Looking for a 12" DOB (or larger) which can be transported to Prestwick, Ayrshire. Any brand, as long as the telescope is optically sound and in good working order. I'm a reliable buyer who has bought and sold on this site before.

Thanks,

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.