Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hello all!

I just installed this Lacerta 1:10 Micro Transmission focuser on my 8” Skywatcher Dobsonian. It is a direct replacement for the stock focuser and works extremely well. I was surprised at how easy it was to install! Ordered it from 365Astronomy and got fast shipping.

2D56205C-83E8-426D-96E0-D7C46C90D86F.jpeg

AA32E233-E410-4221-AFA8-7D6CB5A1E598.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

I have used one of these in the past, and they are a very fine addition, easily fitted as you say, and at little cost.

clear skies:smiley:

• Like 1

Have it on my dob as well - made quite of difference.

• Like 1

It is geared so that it takes multiple turns of the micro focuser to rotate the "normal" focuser knob once. Usually the ratio is around the 10:1 mark. This gives you finer focus control. Faster focal ratio telescopes and shorter focal length eyepieces or astrophotographers benefit most from the addition. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

Newbie question that Google hasn't helped answer - what is a micro-focuser, and how does it help?

It allows for "fine tuning" of the focuser.

I wanted one, and was scared to take my focusser apart, they are also reasonably costly and I kept missing out on the sales of secondhand Lacerta's on SGL so I went for this option for fine control IMG_4112a.jpg

As you can see it's just a big knob that my Bro made for me on his lathe from a block of metal, but although it isn't as good as the Lacerta might be it certainly gives me better control than I had previously

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KateSheff
      Hiya, 
      I'm planning on getting a telescope for my son for Christmas (he'll be 6 by then). I want it to have some lasting potential and would rsther get a decent ish one so he can actually see things more clearly and retain his interest, although obv don't want to spend a fortune. However, we don't have a car, so in terms of opportunities to take advantage of dark skies, it would need to be portable. I was all set on the Skywatcher Heritage 150p and it seemed to tick so many boxes, and it kept getting tagged as very portable and great for travel, but I just noticed the weight is 7.5kg... so it may be portable compared to bigger ones, but I'm not sure about lugging it, a whole load of camping gear and two kids on a bus and a train! 
      Does anyone have any recommendations for anything similar spec-wise, where you can collimate both ends etc, that's also an easy set up and that's just a bit more lightweight?
      Thanks,
      Kate
    • By Matteoconti1292
      Hi to everyone, 
      I'm new in the world of the telescope and as my first telescope I bought an used Skywatcher 70/700 with supatrak mount and I hope that someone can help to understand the equipment I'll need to connect (cable, bluetooth or wi-fi add) my telescope mount to a Mac and control it by software like EQMac or Stellarium.
      Thanks
    • By hukay
      Bought this mount for a cheap price and I found out that there is something missing...maybe a gear???
      I need your expertise on where to get parts for my  mount or anyone who can 3D print the parts? 

• By wavydavy
      Originally brought for my C11 HD Edge, But when used with filter wheel, OAG,  and 0.7 focal reducer the spacing is to far out, hence the reluctant sale of this A+ Condition, unused (other than to see if it worked), focuser. Asking price is £240 which includes special delivery. Bank transfer, paypal or cash/collect ect......
      https://www.365astronomy.com/moonlite-cs-model-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-3.3-sc-with-0.95-travel-focal-reducer-drawtube-and-brass-compression-ring-gold-orange-colour.html

• By lkimber
      I know it may be a bit of a long shot but I'm looking to buy a HEQ5 Pro mount or an NEQ6 Pro or something similar. Preferably belt driven but not necessary as can happily modify it. Please let me know if you have anything! Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.