Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Hello all!

I just installed this Lacerta 1:10 Micro Transmission focuser on my 8” Skywatcher Dobsonian. It is a direct replacement for the stock focuser and works extremely well. I was surprised at how easy it was to install! Ordered it from 365Astronomy and got fast shipping.

2D56205C-83E8-426D-96E0-D7C46C90D86F.jpeg

AA32E233-E410-4221-AFA8-7D6CB5A1E598.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

I have used one of these in the past, and they are a very fine addition, easily fitted as you say, and at little cost.

clear skies:smiley:

• Like 1

Have it on my dob as well - made quite of difference.

• Like 1

It is geared so that it takes multiple turns of the micro focuser to rotate the "normal" focuser knob once. Usually the ratio is around the 10:1 mark. This gives you finer focus control. Faster focal ratio telescopes and shorter focal length eyepieces or astrophotographers benefit most from the addition. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

Newbie question that Google hasn't helped answer - what is a micro-focuser, and how does it help?

It allows for "fine tuning" of the focuser.

I wanted one, and was scared to take my focusser apart, they are also reasonably costly and I kept missing out on the sales of secondhand Lacerta's on SGL so I went for this option for fine control IMG_4112a.jpg

As you can see it's just a big knob that my Bro made for me on his lathe from a block of metal, but although it isn't as good as the Lacerta might be it certainly gives me better control than I had previously

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.