Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Heyyy its meee kronos and i have been wondering about getting a filter...I really want the best contrast and brightness i can on my nebulas(i want to view M42 M57 M27 M31  M81 M82 and lots more) with my future 8" dob. Is this filter really going to help me?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html

If it just a matter of quality of the filter itself  can you suggest a better one in the same price range?

Or will not the uhc filter help me in general .IF so can you reccomend another one?

Also is this         https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/uhc-filter.html         this       https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html        https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/baader-uhc-s-filter.html               this better?

Edited by Kronos831
d

UHC filters are very useful for viewing emission nebulae so great for M42, 27, 57.  They let through OIII and Ha whilst cutting out a significant amount of light from other wavelengths.  A UHC filter doesn't help with broadband targets such as galaxies.  Whilst they will block sodium street light glow they will block some wavelengths useful for broadband targets.  

The best budget filters are probably the Castel brand but FLO dont stock those. The Orion Ultrablock and the Telescope Services UHC are also good UHC filters that don't cost too much. The Explore Scientific ones might be OK as well.

These deep sky filters are not all to the same specification in terms of band pass width (odd but true) so you need to do some research because some will perform better than others.

Personally, faced with a choice of just the ones you list, I would probably go for the Explore Scientific O-III filter to use with a 200mm dobsonian.

hmmm intresting.. just to understand. Why not get the uhc filter instead of the OIII as the UHC also lets OIII and H wavelenghts get through?
Also which is best for Orion's nebula The dumbbell nebula the ring nebula ,hercules global cluster and maybe some other galaxies?(my most gonna-be viewed objects)

Sorry for asking. Its just one of you suggested the UHC where as the other Suggested OIII so i am really keen to find the difference between the 2 to broaden my knowledge about filters in general

Edited by Kronos831
EDIT* Orion nebula is my priority*

It's the wavelengths that are not admitted by the filter get through that make the difference.

I prefer an O-III where just the O-III line is permitted by the filter because it makes a really big impact on some objects. Most of the ones that you list I prefer to observe without a filter. A UHC does make some difference to them though.

You will find that different people offer different opinions because experiences and preferences vary.

The link that Gerry/Jetstream has posted is worth a read. I've also attached a good piece on them:

0805_nebula_filters.pdf

I know you are in a hurry to purchase but it is worth understanding how these things work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By feverdreamer1
      Hi,
      After several years in the photography world I decided to take a plunge into astrophotography, haven taken pictures of the moon, I now plan to capture DSO, unfortunately, I live in a bortle 6/7, and was planning to shoot orions nebula but found out it stays below the horizon for the summer. This is why I turn to the forum: are there any DSO that can be easily captured with a DSLR, a tripod and some software like sequator, and that is visible in  summer too? Ideally if it can be near the zenith it would be best, due to the annoying sodium light streets.
      Also if you could post some images of DSO taken with a DSLR and a tripod ( and software of course)that would help me make an idea of what I should expect.
      The camera I plan on using is an old canon eos 550d, without any modifications.
      Thanks in advance,
      S
    • By AstroRuz
      SkyTech L-Pro Max Light Pollution Suppression Filter
      Used for about a year now and still in very good condition. really helped me out in my garden but now I've moved to tougher skies and need a slightly stronger filter. So it's time to pass this on to someone else.
      Filter is in very good condition with no scratches on it. Used extensively to great effect. Cardboard box slightly tatty but to be expected.
      Creates very nice pictures with good star colour retention and no halos. Horsehead is a HaRGB composite photo where the RGB was shot with this filter.
      2" fitting (M48). Will come with outside box, interior box and of course the filter.
      £100 + £8 P&P (Royal Mail Special Delivery)

• By trunting
      I've been having another crack at DSO imaging lately, and I've managed to produce this from 6 hours of integration: 
      I'm quite pleased with it but I'm very new to image processing, so I'd be incredibly grateful if someone wouldn't mind having a go at processing my data!

Image Info:
      Lights: 46x4min + 66x3min  Stacked with Dark, Flat and Bias frames Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP Taken under Bortle 7/8 skies Gear:
      SkyWatcher ED80 0.85x Reducer Astro-Modified EOS 600D ZWO ASI 120MM Mini Guide Camera with 9x50 Finderscope HEQ5 Pro Mount There's some dust bunnies and other artefacts on the image that I know I could spend more time removing, however I'm wondering if I'm doing my data justice in processing!
      Thanks, Tom
      NGC7023 (2).TIF
    • By stevewanstall
      Messier 57 is is just coming into a position for a decent look around 11 30 pm. IT is a colourful object and I thought it would give me a good target with which to practice my colour developing in PS/Lightroom. I have read so much about how to produce a LRGB image from the four stacked/calibrated luminance, red, blue and green images,  a lot seems contradicatory and some, when followed, gave me colour yes, but not as we know it. I am sure a fair chunk must be put down to me. Anyway, I now have a work flow which gives me colour, sometimes resembling what other people have obtained. Progess of sorts.
      This images is based on 114s subs at gain 139, offset 21.
      L 39, R 20, G 20, B 19
      Calibrated  and stacked in DSS (flats, dark flats and darks)
      Messier 57 Ring Nebula in Lyra

NASA: M57, or the Ring Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the glowing remains of a sun-like star. The tiny white dot in the centre of the nebula is the star’s hot core, called a white dwarf. M57 is about 2,000 light-years away in the constellation Lyra, and is best observed during August. Discovered by the French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix in 1779, the Ring Nebula has an apparent magnitude of 8.8 and can be spotted with moderately sized telescopes.
      Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10,  Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope, Celestron Focus Motor
      Software: Ascom 6, Eqmod, Cartes du Ciel, AstroPhotography Tool, PHD2

• By Camalajs525
      Since I am very new to this, I struggle a lot. Especially when observing planets and also recently deep sky objects. My telescope is an amateur telescope and its almost 11 years old (The telescope was re used a year ago). During summer of last year I took photos of Saturn,Jupiter and a month ago took photos of Venus and Mars. About 2 days ago I stumbled upon a new thing in the sky, (Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture). It definitely was in the Orion constellation  as I had observed Betelgeuse and the 3 stars that were close to each other. After a couple of minutes later I saw 2 stars next to each other and another two which were on top of the other star, surrounding these set of stars were a blue-ish and grey-ish colour at the same time. I had done some research and many people told me it was the trapezium cluster found in Orion. I honestly don't know. Any ideas? Thanks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.