Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Heyyy its meee kronos and i have been wondering about getting a filter...I really want the best contrast and brightness i can on my nebulas(i want to view M42 M57 M27 M31  M81 M82 and lots more) with my future 8" dob. Is this filter really going to help me?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html

If it just a matter of quality of the filter itself  can you suggest a better one in the same price range?

Or will not the uhc filter help me in general .IF so can you reccomend another one?

Also is this         https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/uhc-filter.html         this       https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html        https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/baader-uhc-s-filter.html               this better?

Edited by Kronos831
d

UHC filters are very useful for viewing emission nebulae so great for M42, 27, 57.  They let through OIII and Ha whilst cutting out a significant amount of light from other wavelengths.  A UHC filter doesn't help with broadband targets such as galaxies.  Whilst they will block sodium street light glow they will block some wavelengths useful for broadband targets.  

The best budget filters are probably the Castel brand but FLO dont stock those. The Orion Ultrablock and the Telescope Services UHC are also good UHC filters that don't cost too much. The Explore Scientific ones might be OK as well.

These deep sky filters are not all to the same specification in terms of band pass width (odd but true) so you need to do some research because some will perform better than others.

Personally, faced with a choice of just the ones you list, I would probably go for the Explore Scientific O-III filter to use with a 200mm dobsonian.

hmmm intresting.. just to understand. Why not get the uhc filter instead of the OIII as the UHC also lets OIII and H wavelenghts get through?
Also which is best for Orion's nebula The dumbbell nebula the ring nebula ,hercules global cluster and maybe some other galaxies?(my most gonna-be viewed objects)

Sorry for asking. Its just one of you suggested the UHC where as the other Suggested OIII so i am really keen to find the difference between the 2 to broaden my knowledge about filters in general

Edited by Kronos831
EDIT* Orion nebula is my priority*

It's the wavelengths that are not admitted by the filter get through that make the difference.

I prefer an O-III where just the O-III line is permitted by the filter because it makes a really big impact on some objects. Most of the ones that you list I prefer to observe without a filter. A UHC does make some difference to them though.

You will find that different people offer different opinions because experiences and preferences vary.

The link that Gerry/Jetstream has posted is worth a read. I've also attached a good piece on them:

0805_nebula_filters.pdf

I know you are in a hurry to purchase but it is worth understanding how these things work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hi guys, its me kronos, and i am about to purchase a new a new filter for my 5” and 8” scopes. I cant decide wether to buy a UHC or an oiii filter.
      my budget it 70euros max
      And i have settled between the uhc explore scientific
      or the oiii explore scientific.
      i am open to other suggestions in this price range
      i am keen to observing more deep sky objects with better detail
      Whichever filter i wont buy now, i will buy a better one in the future(for example if i dont buy the uhc , i will buy an astronomic uhc in the future)
      So far i have loved the views of m42 (i have observed many more objects)and now thats its fading into the suns glare, i m starting to find  more and more objects.Hoping to observe the veil and the lagoon  nebula as long as some planetaries and definetly globulars(which i ve heard that they dont take filters(am i correct?). I ve heard that the oiii enhances contrast and dims the object, but is the dimming worth the additional contrast from the uhc?
      i havent yet observed my first planetary , but i am planning to soon.I m really excited to see one!
      I will make another thread similar to this then,asking questions that may arise and reach a conclusion.
      I wrote this thread to ask about your preferences with filters(oiii or uhc) and for advice on what i should buy according to the objects i want to view)
      thanks, any advice will be useful.
      kronos
      Clear skies.

• By masjstovel
      Hi,

I am looking at buying one of these, and need some guidance.
      Celestron Nexstar 4 SE
      Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P Synscan AZ GOTO
      Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT MAK

I ended up With these 3 Choices mostly because of the cost I am willing to do the first time, and it seems like they have some abilities (motorized with GoTo-options)
      Priority 1: I want to observe nebulas, and galaxies (i.e. Andromeda)  on a decent "zoom" and focus.
      Priority 2: I want to do astrophotography.

I've read elsewhere on the forum than its preferable to have an equatorial mount for astrophotography. As far as i can see none of the above have that, even if Celestron Nexstar 4SE is promoting astrophotography on the product info. Or have i misunderstood here and one of the above has an equatorial mount?
      The Product info on the Celestron Nexstar 4 SE says it has Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South. Does this mean it has both options, az-al and equatorial mount?.

I think should add that i consider myself at least an "above beginner"-photographer, and Photoshop user. I use NIKON D810 - is this even mountable on one of the telescopes mentioned here?
      I also have the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer mini. Can i setup one of the telescopes mentioned with this and call it a telescope with equatorial mount? 

I guess some of these questions might seem stupid to you, but I just dont know alot regarding telescopes yet:)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• By thomasv
      Both little used, 'as new' condition, selling due to change of camera.
      Price incl. shipment: Ha: £99; CLS: £49
      These are compatible with Canon 5D / 6D, etc, here are the links for details on these filters:
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-h-alpha-7nm-narrowband-deepsky-filter-for-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-cls-city-light-suppression-filter-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      Regards,
      t

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone!
      The Tadpole Nebula and the Flaming Star Nebula captured over three nights of the unexpected nice weather we had a couple of weeks ago.
      A number of firsts with this image:
      1. My first mosaic - keeping it simple with two panes!
      2. First time I left my imaging rig outside... (I used a telegizmo cover) and it was perfect, allowing me to get imaging very quickly on each night
      3. First time using powerful scripting tools in my capture software, APT, to move to the second pane and starting imaging automatically...worked really well!
      APP was used for pre-processing and stitching the mosaic together, while Pixinsight was used for image processing. A total of 10.9 hours integration time.
      Full details on Astrobin
      Thanks for looking!

• By Owmuchonomy
      For sale is my Daystar Quark, Chromosphere version.  It has had infrequent use and I can't justify keeping it. Works superbly with my ED80.  It was purchased in July 2017 from Widescreen Centre so is still well within the 5 year warranty period.  I am looking for £625 posted to a UK mainland address.  Everything is complete in the box including instructions, USB cable and power adaptor.  Payment by bank transfer please.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.