Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m42 with cheap lens

alacant

Hi everyone

I saw a cheap 'Russian' -it says USSR on the lens ring- 300mm lens on eBay for €50. Just for curiosity I took this snap, never expecting anything like. I was surprised at the colour and corner correction it gave. It would be a great way to make a start in ap with a dslr; my Canon kit lens comes nowhere close. Interesting...

700d: 90 minutes @ ISO800

288502903_m42(copy).thumb.jpg.8f29dc9fb7682ae1fbba1f906eb855d5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

not another M42 image

Hi

Yeah, sorry. I know that feeling.

In my defence, I never thought I'd ever be posting it here; I just wanted to see what the lens could do. In the end, I thought it was good enough to recommend as a viable and economical alternative to the (equally oh-no-not-another!) you-know-what route;)

7 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Yeah, sorry. I know that feeling.

In my defence, I never thought I'd ever be posting it here; I just wanted to see what the lens could do. In the end, I thought it was good enough to recommend as a viable and economical alternative to the (equally oh-no-not-another!) you-know-what route;)

No need to be sorry, my post was intended to be a complement, highlighting the fact that however many images have been posted there is always one that for whatever reason exceeds expectations. This is one.   ?

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Thanks, yeah. Didn't notice. I wonder if stopping down to say, 5.6 (8 ...?) would make it disappear? Or would that concentrate it and make it worse?

TIA

Hard to say, give it a try.
M42 is quite bright may be try another target and see if it still does it.

On 26/01/2019 at 19:56, wxsatuser said:

try another target

Hi. We tried Alnitak which is a good candidate for reflections. Stopping down seems to have worked, but do tell us otherwise. There are however now diffraction spikes; in this case, quite attractive.

Archived