Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 

Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.

Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds

Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)

Flats and Biased frames included

milky way 2.png

• Like 10

Nice start. 

The problem with the foreground is that it doesn't move and the stars do. DSS has lined up the stars very nicely, as it would, but has left the ground blurred.

Take a look at this video and see what Sequator could do for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql4bEnJc4hE

Himachal Pradesh looks to be very dark.

Dave.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Very good result for an untracked shot with a crop-sensor DSLR, shows the brown dust nicely. What f-stop was this taken at please?

f/3.5 at with a stock 18-55 mm lens set to 18mm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davew said:

Nice start. 

The problem with the foreground is that it doesn't move and the stars do. DSS has lined up the stars very nicely, as it would, but has left the ground blurred.

Take a look at this video and see what Sequator could do for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql4bEnJc4hE

Himachal Pradesh looks to be very dark.

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestion man, I would use sequator to stack my next target.

• Like 1

Can you guys suggest a cheap lens for my camera. I think it's time to retire the stock lens.

On 24/01/2019 at 13:26, harshit8 said:

Can you guys suggest a cheap lens for my camera. I think it's time to retire the stock lens.

I've been thinking ..... are you sure your lens needs retiring after only two Astro images ? :)  I do realise that it's a slower lens than some but still.

There are one or two affordable lenses out there but I'm afraid I've not used most of them. Some friends of mine use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and get great results. On your APSC camera it would give a field of view near 24mm on an FF camera. I hear good things about the older Tokina zooms of either 11 - 20 or 11 - 16 both f2.8. They give a FOV of near 18mm. I know the Tamron 15 - 30 f2.8 lens is good but it's not exactly cheap.

I don't know what the second hand market is like in Northern India but I imagine it won't be easy to return a lens if it turns out to be less than perfect.

If you live in  Himachal Pradesh how about taking some starry night time water fall photos or maybe some around the Gobind Sagar Lake ? It looks lovely round there ( Isn't Google Earth wonderful ? :) ) 

I hope some Canon users see this thread and can help you more than me !

Dave.

On 25/01/2019 at 21:21, davew said:

I've been thinking ..... are you sure your lens needs retiring after only two Astro images ? :)  I do realise that it's a slower lens than some but still.

There are one or two affordable lenses out there but I'm afraid I've not used most of them. Some friends of mine use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and get great results. On your APSC camera it would give a field of view near 24mm on an FF camera. I hear good things about the older Tokina zooms of either 11 - 20 or 11 - 16 both f2.8. They give a FOV of near 18mm. I know the Tamron 15 - 30 f2.8 lens is good but it's not exactly cheap.

I don't know what the second hand market is like in Northern India but I imagine it won't be easy to return a lens if it turns out to be less than perfect.

If you live in  Himachal Pradesh how about taking some starry night time water fall photos or maybe some around the Gobind Sagar Lake ? It looks lovely round there ( Isn't Google Earth wonderful ? :) ) 

I hope some Canon users see this thread and can help you more than me !

Dave.

Thanks Dave btw i do not live in himachal. I live in Delhi which is a heavily light polluted city. So I have to travel a lot to get some dark skies. 

I would test the limits of my lens and then choose the new one as the need comes. 

• Like 1