Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hopefully the Last eyepiece deleema.

This is probably my options as of now:I will definetly buy a 12mm BST Starguider A 2X BST Barlow( So thats 100x and 200x magnification) 

AND Either:

15MM BST STARGUIDER VS 25MM STARGUIDER

My dobsonian telescope will include:A 25mm and 10mm Eyepiece . So the obvious awnser is to go for the 15mm BUT i ve read in reviews that the bst s have are noticabely better than the eyepieces that come with my telescope.So i am wondering, should i buy the 25mm or the 15mm BST? 

Also is it worth to barlow either 25mm eyepiece to make 12.5mm and ditch the 12mm i am definetly buying for a 6mm one? i am thinking not because if i barlow the 6 mm it will give me 400x and i think that is too much magnification for the image to appear clear , plus i will also barlow the 10 mm to give me a 240x the acceptable limit for good clarity / magnification ratio (i ve read that and not sure if its true or not). Thanks again for your time and help!

This forum has been very polite, welcoming and kind to noobs like me just getting into the hobby XD I hope i can one day look back at myself and laugh at my ignorance! This site has been truly amazing and i hope i can stay a member for a long time to come!

Thanks as always

Clear skies everyone

Kronos

You don't need 12 and 15mm eyepieces and as I have said before the 25mm is not well corrected at f6. The 25mm might be better on axis than the eyepiece supplied with your telescope, but it has lots of astigmatism off axis. I would suggest either:

1. Stick with the supplied 25mm and buy 8mm and 12mm Starguiders. With a 2x barlow you have 4, 6, 8, 12, (12.5,) 25mm. 
  2. Buy the 12mm Starguider and something else for low power, perhaps a 30mm NPL Plossl (does anyone know if this is well corrected at f6?)

All I can say is the 25mm EP that came with my SW 200P from FLO (along with the 10mm) were both more than adequate and to be honest I still use them despite a host of other EP's to pick from.  Don't forget you will be able to Barlow the originally supplied EP's too.

You won't be using 400x often and even 240x can be pushing things if the seeing conditions are no better than average.

Of the stock eyepieces, the 25mm is quite a bit better than the 10mm - it's the latter one that is usually replaced first.

The Vixen 30mm NPL is quite well corrected in an F/6 scope.

I think Ricochet's plan makes a lot of sense.

This won't be your last "eyepiece dilemma" though, thats for sure !

When you actually get the scope and start to use it, the experiences you gain may well open up other tempting options such as 2 inch eyepieces for low / wide views. Filters will be another interest at some point too.

18 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Damn thanks guys.But is it really necessary to get a 30mm ? It adds another 50€ to my already expensive accessory total

If you go for the BST Starguider 25mm, there is little point in also having a 30/32mm in my view because the 30/32mm will show only a tiny amount of extra sky. 

4 hours ago, John said:

You won't be using 400x often and even 240x can be pushing things if the seeing conditions are no better than average.

Of the stock eyepieces, the 25mm is quite a bit better than the 10mm - it's the latter one that is usually replaced first.

The Vixen 30mm NPL is quite well corrected in an F/6 scope.

I think Ricochet's plan makes a lot of sense.

This won't be your last "eyepiece dilemma" though, thats for sure !

When you actually get the scope and start to use it, the experiences you gain may well open up other tempting options such as 2 inch eyepieces for low / wide views. Filters will be another interest at some point too.

Im getting this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html

I'll be using it for dsos

What do you think of if? Also i was asking if i can settle with the 25mm supplied with the telescope, or should i buy another one? Is there a big or noticeable difference between it and the bst starguider?

I assume you have a 2" focuser?  If so, look for a widest or near widest field 2" eyepiece such as a 32mm to 40mm 70 degree eyepiece to take in large star clusters and to help in centering objects.  You'll be amazed how much more sky will be visible than in any 1.25" eyepiece.

8 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

So... Is contrast and clarity better with 2" eyepieces?

Just going to 2" eyepieces does not mean better contrast and clarity. Some 1.25" ep's are extremely good. 2" ep's give a larger TFOV and also AFOV usually which can be beneficial on some objects.

6 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Oh okay! Can you also clarify something else?is there a big difference. Between the bst starguider 25mm and the 25mm supplied with the 8" dob?

No clue.

However our "25mm Super Plossl" SW is not that bad actually. The supplied 10mm is poor IMHO. If going for 2" eyepieces the ES 68deg 34mm might be a good choice for filter use and widefield views. Personally I wouldn't spend money on a 25mm 1.25" EP- I'd save for a good 2".

Your scope is f6 right?

I would not get a deep sky filter just now. They are a good tool to have but some stuff is best decided on further downstream when you have some experience with the scope and observing. Your choices will be much better when they are informed by some of your own experiences.

I know it's tempting to try and fully accessorise your scope so you are fully equipped when it arrives but there is a real risk of some abortive purchases that way.

19 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Thanks yes it is a f6 but the thing is that I'm getting a 1.25 mm filter because all of my eyepieces so far are 1.25 mm and that will give me a lot more diversity.ughhhehehrhrhr i dont know what to doooo

Just hold off for a bit...

what filter are you getting? did you order it? it matters because the filters work best with exit pupil ranges...

14 minutes ago, John said:

I would not get a deep sky filter just now. They are a good tool to have but some stuff is best decided on further downstream when you have some experience with the scope and observing. Your choices will be much better when they are informed by some of your own experiences.

I know it's tempting to try and fully accessorise your scope so you are fully equipped when it arrives but there is a real risk of some abortive purchases that way.

I understand but i find that i wont have a long period for making choices...As I will be getting the accessories a few days before brexit...I live in greece and there are strict rules when it comes from items outside the eu . So my supplier s will be limited thats why i am rushing..

3 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/es_uhc_filter_125.html this one, is it good?

Can you recommend a filter s for my 25mm and 12 mm for the same price?

Ok, the stock 25mm Super Plossl is OK, with 25mm giving an exit pupil of about 4mm in your scope- a good minimum for dark skies with the UHC/OIII. THe DGM NPB (UHC type) works well for us.

Are you sure you want a UHC? An OIII shows certain nice objects like the Veil Neb so well...

4 hours ago, Kronos831 said:

So... Is contrast and clarity better with 2" eyepieces?

2" eyepieces generally have larger field stops allowing for larger regions of the sky to be seen in a single view.  For instance, the maximum true field of view with your 1200mm scope with a 1.25" eyepiece is about 1.3 degrees whereas it can go as high as 2.2 degrees with a 2" eyepiece.  That's 2.86 times as much area of the sky visible at once.

1 hour ago, Kronos831 said:

that will be amazing! almost 3 times?!  i am considering buying this...https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-28mm-let-long-eye-relief.html

Notice the field stop diameter is 31mm.  That is only slightly larger than the maximum 1.25" field stop diameter of 27mm, so it will be only marginally wider.  If you want really wide views, you'll need to look for an eyepiece with a 42mm to 46mm  field stop.

Archived