SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UHC for planets

Orion1802

Yes, and it takes away from the detail, intensity and creates a strange hue across it.. my recommendation is a neodymium and contrast booster (in that order from the eyepiece out) to really enhance your views.... it is amazing just how much detail I picked up with my 8" SCT and 14" dob on the clearest nights with the use of those filters.

I have used the TV Planetary Filter and it works very well, esp. on Jupiter, but not had chance to try it on Saturn as yet, I bought it after a guy from Australia was singing its praises, and have never regreted it, very expensive though at £140 now!

Occasionally over the years I've tried a whole range of different filters on the planets including UHC, OIII, H-B, coloured, neutral density, TV planetary etc, etc. I've not noticed gains over the unfiltered views (which I prefer) and mostly less detailed or more tinted views, so I don't bother now.

I would second the Moon/Skyglow/Neodymium would add it is the number one filter I would suggest for Jupiter and Mars and of the many planetary filters I've tried it's the best performer for these objects, I bought a cheap brand and it worked so well I thought to upgrade but no improvement so now I have the Baader and the Orion and started with the Solomark. All three are great filters I won't split hairs and would say get one that fits your budget as there is not much difference amoung them. I do not use a contrast booster on reflectors for planets but will roll in a #8 yellow when using the MSG on my long focus achromat. 

To answer to op, I have of course like John thrown every filter I have at the planets UHC being one, the results were less than desirable with it.

The ones I've tried also included a Baader Neodymium but I didn't feel that it did anything for me either. With the exception of some nebulae and the Sun, I prefer to observe filterless generally but I can see that others have found some pleasing results from some filters though, so thats good :smiley:

The nebula line filters are not helpful at all on planets.  I have used a Zhumell Moon & Skyglow filter on Jupiter, and maybe it shows better contrast, but the effect it has on the colors is quite odd.  I've found the lightest blue filter (80A) to be somewhat helpful on Jupiter.  I've found that I prefer astrophotographic, interference type color filters (red/green/blue) over the ordinary dyed types because they pass a much higher percentage of light.  Even then, I can't say I've ever seen anything new with them that I couldn't see without them.  Perhaps red on Mars helps bring out dark features better, but they're still there without the filter.

I have found the M&SG filter indispensible for comet hunting along a light polluted skyline.  Using sweeping with the filter in place confirmed by blinking with the filter (holding it briefly in front of the eyepiece), I've found several comets setting close in time with the sun that are otherwise invisible due to horizon murk.

I'm buying a filter set from Solomark. The quality looks excellent. There are these filters-

82A blue

23A red

21 Orange

12 Yellow

56 Green

Polarizing

And the Solomark Moon and Skyglow

TBH I wouldn't have thought of purchasing a filter set if I had not seen Jupiter through a yellow filter. Without it Jupiter was ok, with the bands looking good but till then I had never seen GRS. When I installed the filter, the rings had much more contrast and the GRS was clearly visible. I didn't even knew that GRS was visible at that time.

Can anyone advice me about these filters??

Clear nights

Archived