SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars

Hi Guys, my name is Ivo, I'm from Portugal(Sorry if my English isn't the best)...

So, I would like to observe the sky, the stars, the planets, and galaxies. But, in my town, there is a lot of light pollution. I barely can see the stars in heaven with my eyes(just a few ones). So I want to buy a pair of binoculars. But I'm concerned if I will see properly with them(Because of the light pollution). So, I asked in Astroshop what binocular do they recommend. They told me that Omegon Binoculars Nightstar 15x70 would be a good choice. What do you think? Is it a good pair of binoculars? Or I could receive better for a little bit of money? Thanks for the help!!!

51 minutes ago, Ivo12 said:

They told me that Omegon Binoculars Nightstar 15x70 would be a good choice.

Hello, Ivo. That 15x70 is a clone of the Celestron Skymaster and is also sold under other brands. I've tried several Skymasters and they all gave good images, good brillance, good sharpness, comfortable eyecups, not heavy to hold.

The older 15x70's of that type lost optical alignment easily when they received little shocks but I'm told the newer ones resist shocks better. They are not waterproof or fogproof but most of Portugal has mild temperatures at night so it's probably not a problem. Astroshop gave you an honest advice.

27 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Hello, Ivo. That 15x70 is a clone of the Celestron Skymaster and is also sold under other brands. I've tried several Skymasters and they all gave good images, good brillance, good sharpness, comfortable eyecups, not heavy to hold.

The older 15x70's of that type lost optical alignment easily when they received little shocks but I'm told the newer ones resist shocks better. They are not waterproof or fogproof but most of Portugal has mild temperatures at night so it's probably not a problem. Astroshop gave you an honest advice.

Thanks for the help me friend. So, I can get the Celestron cheaper than the Omegon. Should I buy the Celestron instead? And can you give me a suggestion of a tripod? Thanks for the help.

I don't know about tripods for binoculars but you can buy the cheaper Celestron, just check that the warranty is the same duration. In case it's two years for the Omegon and one for the Celestron the extra price could be justified. I don't know but the folks at Astroshop are polite and responsive, they'll tell you.

Archived