Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Compass Points

Lurcher

Hi All,

Me again! Asking another stupid question with apologies!

I've noticed some people add a Compass bearing to their sketches which I think looks so neat and something I would like to add to my own sketches in the future.

I just wanted to check please. . . . . Lets say the object your looking at was to the East. The drawing is upside down. So would you show an East point on the sketch pointing straight down? And the North would be pointing to the left?

Hope I've got that right!

Thanks for any help.

I think easiest way to orient your sketch is to let target drift for a moment.

Direction of drift is always in RA and it drifts towards west - so you have two points straight away - E-W direction.

Then you just think about how your scope is providing image - is it upside down (like in newtonian and straight thru refractor) or not inverted vertically 
(scope with diagonal) and mark N and S accordingly (this probably changes on south hemisphere, but not completely sure :D ).

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I think easiest way to orient your sketch is to let target drift for a moment.

Direction of drift is always in RA and it drifts towards west - so you have two points straight away - E-W direction.

That's a good thought. Thank you! (Thanks for your time in replying too). All the best.

In my scope north is top, so to keep things simple, I just note the north orientation and the direction of movement across the field. I.e. North & Preceding. So in your case you could note the North to be at the bottom of the field then all you need to add is the direction of movement. Sometimes you can just add N above an object or draw a little compass cross, where N=north, S=south, P=preceeding and F=following. In my case these are only approximate estimations! Some examples are below:

With the moon, I imagine myself stood on its surface with my back to lunar north. Then west would be to my right and east to my left! Then I relate that to the east west inversion through my scopes diagonal. 

1853129735_2019-01-2212_01_04.jpg.8c2af767fd641aeb474c4136e12b8271.jpg2102870159_2019-01-2212_00_29.thumb.jpg.e1b84167c2a301bc9c1cc8b7e66e4d18.jpg1593042656_2019-01-2212_00_11.thumb.jpg.39327a642ae9bd55fa14524e9cab84d8.jpg20190122_115851.thumb.jpg.9e731ade7dd4f453e454ad62381a7452.jpg

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Good old Skysafari always helps me out with this

Oh that looks brilliant! I've heard of SkySafari but never downloaded it. That looks like the answer thanks. Simple with that! Thank you taking the time to reply and post the images. Thanks.

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Sometimes you can just add N above an object or draw a little compass cross, where N=north, S=south, P=preceeding and F=following.

Oooh I like the sound of the proceeding and following too. (That'll make it look like I know what I'm talking about! Although still thinking I'll get that all wrong. Great sketches and annotations. Again, thank you for gong to so much trouble for me.

Thanks for everyone for the kind help. Right. I think I've got it now thanks to you all. 

I look forward to some clear, (and preferably slightly warmer nights, although that last one might be being greedy for this time of year), to give it a try again.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived