SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Exit Pupil using Barlowes.

As I understand it a Barlowe increases the focal length of the telescope by the factor of the Barlowe. 
Using my 1200mm focal length scope and a 6mm eyepiece I would have an exit pupil of 1mm. If I use a 2x Barlowe this makes the focal length 2400mm, using the same 6mm eyepiece will this give an exit pupil of 2mm?

Hi Alan. It works the other way round. If you add a barlow to an eyepiece, that will produce a smaller exit pupil.

If a 6mm eyepiece gives a 1mm exit pupil with your scope, adding a 2x barlow to that eyepiece would produce a 0.5mm exit pupil, as well as doubling the magnification.

HTH, Ed.

Yes exactly - you can think of exit pupil as "shrunken" aperture - by factor of magnification. Add barlow - increase magnification - you "shrink" aperture more - smaller exit pupil.

200mm F/6 with 6mm will give x200. 200mm / x200 = 1mm exit pupil. Add x2 barlow you are now at x400 and if we follow thru - 200mm / x400 = 0.5mm.

I find it easiest to remember that 

Exit Pupil =  Eyepiece Focal Length / Focal Ratio

Therefore with your 6mm eyepiece and f6 telescope you have 6mm / 6 = 1mm

If you add a 2x barlow you not only double the focal length, but the focal ratio, so now you have 6mm / 12 = 0.5mm.

Archived