Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Lunar Eclipse in Pictures

johnfosteruk

Well, what a blast that was. I feared the alarm wouldn't wake me, or would wake the Present Mrs Foster. Happily, neither was true.

I opened the door and was greeted by a blanket of cloud, but I setup nonetheless. The cloud started to clear soon after, at about 3:20am and a good time was had by all me.

I have an arty image thanks to the still clearing clouds early on, a sequence of sorts and a widefield shot with a few stars at or near maximum.

I may have sufficient data for an animation as well.

1257562437_Halosmall.jpg.278f84daf339ca667db0c08ddad27c01.jpg

1856158832_eclipsemontagesmall.thumb.jpg.349816930d254f330fe79a71db8e4c0a.jpg

1855645435_eclipsewide1.jpg.196b215463731f9c2a0a4a44d7ec17f6.jpg

Very nice images indeed.

I also managed to not wake my wife. Some grumbling then back to sleep.

Unfortunately, I struggled with focus, a wobbly tripod and two batteries failing because I didn't carry out my pre-start checks the previous evening. I managed a few pictures but nothing even approaching the quality of yours John.

The real wrath came (although quite temporary) when, just before 5am, I woke the entire house to take a look before the eclipse ended. My two boys were completely entranced and even my wife was quietly impressed - winner! This single event has rendered the near constant cloud a distant memory ?

Nicely done John, I've spent the last couple of hours sorting through mine attempting an animation but there's a big gap in the middle where it clouded over and I nearly packed it in but left it running while having a brew by which time there were enough gaps to continue until it disappeared behind the roof tops.

Dave

6 hours ago, paulastro said:

Really nice images John and I lover the movie!  They have that wonderful fine refractor look about them :smile:

Funnily enough I put the Mak out cooling before bed on Sunday but when I woke up and saw cloud I decided F13 would be pushing it past my cameras usable ISO limit and used the F10 refractor instead.

3 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

You're just rubbing it in that you don't have to wait 9 years :)

Might not be 9, but it's still a few good years... I'm looking on the positive side of things... that when it does come around, my son will be old enough to enjoy it too....

Archived