Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

heyyyyy its meeeee, kronosss and today there is a full moon(i missed out on the eclipse because of clouds... huh i guess i gotta wait another 19 years...)and i went out in the b ackyard with my 3" reflector telescope the celestron firstscope! The seeing was kinda bad... the full moon had less detail than the quarter.... anyway i figured i could see something else then i turned left and i saw orion(book-pun -intended) and the stars were quite faint(bad seeing full moon and light pollution.) i tried locating the orion nebula, after some time i stumbled across a small extremely faint smudge just barely distinguishable, then i turned and zoomed in,(75x) i saw 2 small kind of blurry spots of light (focusing wasnt great andi have the worst 4mm eyepiece in history...) with a very faint dark grey light around them keep in mind i saw that light when not looking directly at the nebula(read that it makes light appear brighter somewhere, it works lol)  sooo is what i am seeing indeed it? or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Cheers

Kronos

• Like 6

By the sounds of it you did just see M42, the Orion nebula alright, thats great! now you know where to look again on a night of good seeing and no moon, it will be a lot more pleasing then.

Amaziing!!! When i saw it i was blown away.. i expected so much more but damn did it fell amazing! I am looking forward to getting an 8 " dob how much more will i able to see with it? Also what eyepiece size would you recommend the most for dsos?

the focal lengh is 1200mm! thanks( i know there is no right magnification for every nebula/galaxy/globular but the most useful for looking at most dsos ) also do you think i should use 5 or 6mm eyepiece for planets like jupiter or saturn? thanks

Kronos

Just wait until the moon is out of the way! You’ll love the view.

Paul

Well done on the M42.

For now I would just get used to using your scope on finding objects in the sky. 

Have a look around here as there is a very useful sticky about which Eye Pieces may be best to use with your scope in terms of high, medium and low magnifications. 

Thanks guys! I finnaly set on a 25mm a 18mm with a 2 and 3x barlow so ill get:25 12.5 6.25 18 9 and 4.5mm (barlows are celestron and eyepieces are bst starguider

Orion Nebula was the first one I saw as well, Kronos! I was thrilled just as you are! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Congratulations on your first nebula. I take it from your pun that you have that book? Plenty more objects in there for you to track down. Enjoy the journey.

The good news is that M42 never gets old. I look forward to Winter all year long so that I can get a few more glimpses of Orion. I have an 8" Dob and can say that the views at times of Orion are incredible (even with pretty bad light pollution). I can easily make out the nebula and some faint hints of greenish color. 

Thanks guys!!! But winter is the cloudiest season here....we have clear skies once in 2 weeks and thats not guaranteed.I am getting an 8inch dob aswell.which eyepiece works for orion the best in the dob?

9 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Thanks guys!!! But winter is the cloudiest season here....we have clear skies once in 2 weeks and thats not guaranteed.I am getting an 8inch dob aswell.which eyepiece works for orion the best in the dob?

I tend to use a 25mm and then go from there...maybe to a 15mm. You might want to invest in a zoom eyepiece if you haven't already purchased a bunch of standalone eyepieces. I hear the Celestron zoom is decent and very affordable. 

Congratulations on your 1st nebula, I have been observing M42 since  childhood and it still fills me full of wonder everytime I see it.

I think it is such a great part of this hobby to hear such obvious enthusiasm and joy from observing under difficult conditions. I am sure you will always find the same now and again in the future - especially if the moon and weather eventually favour you ! 

On 21/01/2019 at 19:46, Kronos831 said:

I am looking forward to getting an 8 " dob how much more will i able to see with it?

Orion through my 8" dob is impressive and was a "wow" moment the first time I observed it, I usually use my 15 and 8mm EPs to look at DSOs through my dobs depending on their size of couse , in the case of M42 I use my 25 and 15mm EPs 

Edited by PaulM

14 hours ago, SacRiker said:

I tend to use a 25mm and then go from there...maybe to a 15mm. You might want to invest in a zoom eyepiece if you haven't already purchased a bunch of standalone eyepieces. I hear the Celestron zoom is decent and very affordable. 

hmmm investing in a zoom eyepiece is kind of expensive. I ve heard that the celestron zoom eyepiece doesnt perform as well as the bst starguiders and considering that the only availabe option for shipping to greece is around 150 (With shipping etc) it

would be more worth it to buy 3 eyepieces and a barlow instead  or would it? Can you maybe awnser the question?And if its worth it , mind you suggest a supplier inside the eu or UK that can supply the eyepiece for less thatn 100Pounds? 

Thanks

Kronos

This is probably my options as of now:I will definetly buy a 12mm BST Starguider A 2X BST Barlow( So thats 100x and 200x magnification) 

AND Either:

15MM BST STARGUIDER VS 25MM STARGUIDER

My dobsonian telescope will include:A 25mm and 10mm Eyepiece . So the obvious awnser is to go for the 15mm BUT i ve read in reviews that the bst s have are noticabely better than the eyepieces that come with my telescope.So i am wondering, should i buy the 25mm or the 15mm BST? 

Also is it worth to barlow either 25mm eyepiece to make 12.5mm and ditch the 12mm i am definetly buying for a 6mm one? i am thinking not because if i barlow the 6 mm it will give me 400x and i think that is too much magnification for the image to appear clear , plus i will also barlow the 10 mm to give me a 240x the acceptable limit for good clarity / magnification ratio (i ve read that and not sure if its true or not). Thanks again for your time and help!

This forum has been very polite, welcoming and kind to noobs like me just getting into the hobby XD I hope i can one day look back at myself and laugh at my ignorance! This site has been truly amazing and i hope i can stay a member for a long time to come!(  if i am still alive that is (no im not old im 14 but i have a phobia) but thats off topic

Thanks as always

Clear skies everyone

Kronos

On 23/01/2019 at 05:24, Pete Presland said:

Congratulations on your 1st nebula, I have been observing M42 since  childhood and it still fills me full of wonder everytime I see it.

Hasn't gotten old for me yet either, but I've only had my scope since Summer 2018. On my birthday last month I took some friends out to see Comet 46P/Wirtanen. While we were out, I showed them the Orion Nebula. I have an 8" f/5.9 reflector and I used a 25 mm eyepiece. Since we were in the neighborhood, I also showed them that Mintaka is actually a double star.

• Like 1