SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen GPDX guiding

Vixen4eva

Yes I have used one.

It guided very well via ST4 connection and various guide cams.

I did have to fettle the backlash on the dec and in the end settled on guiding in Dec in one dirrection most of the time.

I tried for many years and never really succeeded (you know about the "crossed" ST4 connection, I assume).  I think the RA backlash on my GPDX was just too much at the time.  However, at a 600mm focal length I found I could get up to 3 minutes unguided with a good polar alignment and PEC.

I have since replaced the SS2K with the SynScan system (the connection to SS2K handset became unreliable - the mount would sometimes suddenly just fly off at full tilt in RA during tracking) and tweaked the mount RA worm adjustment, and it now guides under PHD quite well.  I do miss the SS2K handset though.  It was superb, just let down by that stupid, useless plasticky connector.  One day I will find the time and the courage to take it apart and find out where the dicky connection is.

I bought an LVI2 autoguider and it seemed to work OK with my SSk2, although only having a limited display on the LVI handset I couldn't really judge how good it was.  I could see some backlash in Dec and the device appeared to be making corrections.  After some fiddling around I decided to concentrate on good polar alignment and unguided wide field imaging!  Three to five minute shots, unguided, were fine.

One thing I have done is to permanently secure the SS2K cable to the handset, I never make or break the connection and always carry the handset + cable as a unit.  To avoid any flex and potential breaks the cable is secured with a cable tie to the side of the handset (see pic).  There is already a small hole in the side that is big enough for a cable tie.  I've also stuck on a piece of Velcro further down the cable.

20190124_095708.thumb.jpg.8843244ff26a05307f35d0cfecdbe5b0.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello.  I'm looking for a replacement cable for a SkySensor 2000 pc  mines broken somewhere along the line and when flexed in a certain way guiding stops and mount gets 'lost' so have to reset everything.  Anyone any idea where I could get hold of a cable or get it fixed ?

• 1 year later...
On 06/04/2019 at 19:26, MJAstro said:

Hello.  I'm looking for a replacement cable for a SkySensor 2000 pc  mines broken somewhere along the line and when flexed in a certain way guiding stops and mount gets 'lost' so have to reset everything.  Anyone any idea where I could get hold of a cable or get it fixed ?

hi there, I also have a ss2k-pc. the cable is just about hanging in there! My plan is to build a new one at some stage, have you thought of doing that? I know 100% that all the parts are available, it just a matter of making it up, not too tricky.