Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help and tips for Orion doubles tonight.

As per the last couple of days, the skies are amazingly transparent as only freezing winter skies seem to be. Because of the moon, it's doubles again and because of the cold it's the balcony with mainly a view of Orion. 

Rigel, Alnitak, Sigma Ori, the Trapezium, Iota Ori were on the list last night along with Beta Mon. I had unsuccessful attempts at Gamma Cet, 30 Ori and 28 Ori along with a long look at Sirius.

My question is- Are there any others (not too high e.g Meissa) around Orion (Monocerous is too dim for any meaningful star-hopping)? Any tips on the unsuccessful ones? Is Sirius worth a try at 90x in a 4 inch refractor or is it a waste of time? The E star in the Trapezium is now routine in these skies and I'm 99 percent sure I made the F star last night. Are there any tips for that extra 1 percent of certainty? 10mm at 90x is my weapon of choice.

Any experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dominic

Eta, 32 and 52 Orionis are worth a try. Certainly pretty challenging as well (especially the last two).

I've yet to split Sirius with less than 130mm. I'm probably very close with my ED120 but I've not had it so it's definite as yet. Others have done it with 100mm though so keep trying !

Archived