Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

lukebl

Which is the closest planet to Earth?

So which planet is closest to Earth? Venus, of course.

WRONG! On average, 46% of the time Mercury is the closest planet, Venus 36% of the time, and Mars 18%.

Fascinating fact courtesy of the BBC World Service.

• Like 3

I think what most people usually mean is actually which planet comes closest to the earth.

John

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

Alernatively, which planet is closest to earth today?

I did a variant of this years ago for a quiz question. When Pluto was still a 'proper' planet but inside Neptune's orbit.

• Like 1

Or, more subtly, 'Which planet is, generally, closest to Earth?'

That question was in our society xmas quiz this year. The answer was Mercury.

The question should be which planets orbit of the sun is closest to that of Earth's orbit of the sun.

Posted (edited)
On 21/01/2019 at 09:20, johnturley said:

I think what most people usually mean is actually which planet comes closest to the earth.

John

I watched part of a game show (in the USA) where the contestant lost a few hundred thousand dollars for saying that the planet that comes closest to Earth was Venus. The show's answer was Mars, which was incorrect of course. No one batted an eyelid or contested the answer on the show. I knew immediately the show's answer was incorrect and the man was wrongly stripped of his winnings. It seems no one of the younger generations is expected to think for themselves these days (in the US) and prefer to be told what is true without question. It's much easier than thinking for oneself.

Edited by Can always make it better
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Can always make it better said:

It seems no one of the younger generations is expected to think for themselves these days (in the US) and prefer to be told what is true without question. It's much easier than thinking for oneself.

Unfortunately almost half of the population in the US think the earth is only 6,000 years old!