Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

ShrewView

Lets hear it for moths

This theory, more of a fact now, has been going for a while now. Does anybody listen?!

Light pollution is like other forms of pollution, the result of many factors such as ignorance, selfishness, indifference, and greed.  Somebody I know is obsessed with green energy and air pollution, yet she won't care leaving every light in her house on, even when she's not there. Half the story or simply misguided idealism and hypocrisy?

• Like 1

do not worry over things you cannot control its pointless ? now darn clouds are a different story ?... charl.

sorry i must be sleep posting again?.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Want to catch moths? just turn on a light. We know this but so do other denizens of the dark. Bats, for instance, know that there is a veritable smorgasbord of food around lights. And not just bats; if you live in the tropics you will get geko's clustering around lights just waiting for their food fly into their open mouths; I know, I have watched them.

Another interesting phenomenon is that certain moths can detect the bat's sonic emissions and head for cover if they detect bats nearby. Strangely this defence mechanism is rendered U/S when the moths are near bright lights enabling the bats to catch them when normally they cannot.

All of this changes the balance of nature and usually in unforeseen ways.

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Captain Magenta
      Last year I was given a Unihedron SQM-L, the narrow field of view version of their gadget for measuring night-sky brightness. Since then, I’ve nipped outside to take zenith readings whenever I’ve been able, often a few times per night. As a result I now have 85 data-points, all from my back garden in Sunbury on Thames which rates a 19.04 on www.lightpollutionmap.info . As it turns out, this agrees well with the data I’ve collected.
      The darkest I’ve measured at this location has been 19.13, with 4 records better than 19.05 and 10 better than 19.00.
      Plotted against Moon altitude, it looks like:

One thing I noticed very early on was that the reading generally gets darker and darker as the night goes on. The chart below suggests the data agrees, but how strongly I’m not adept enough yet with my statistics to work out. If anyone fancies doing this for me, I’d be grateful, I’ve attached the data .csv file I think to the end of this post.

The data itself: each record contains date, time[GMT], SQM value, Moon phase, Moon altitude . For the purposes of my analysis, I’ve converted the time value into hoursafter6pm, which allows the intercept of the regression solution to be loosely considered as the “6pm starting point” for the darkness estimation, which is OK for this dataset as my data is all from this latest Autumn/Winter.
      I’ve done an “ordinary least-squares” regression with multiple input variables. At first glance it seems to me that the SQ vs altitude chart above should not behave well with that: there’s a clear kink, intuitively obvious I guess, at the point the Moon altitude goes negative.
      To cope with that, I divided my data into two and did three separate regressions: “Moon up” data, “Moon down”, and “All data” but treating phase and altitude as zero if the Moon is below -5 degrees (I chose -5 degrees arbitrarily).
      With Moon up, I decided the SQM value will depend on Time of Night, Moon Altitude and Phase. With Moon down, it only needs to depend on time of night.
      Thus my regression model is:
      SkyQual = a + b.timeafter6pm + c.phase + d.altitude + residual
      or rearranged
      residual = a + b.timeafter6pm + c.phase + d.altitude – SkyQual
      The analysis involves minimizing the sum of (the squares of the) residuals, by hunting around for the appropriate values of a, b, c & d which yields this minimum. I used MS Excel’s built-in Solver to do the “hunting around”.
      The following table summarizes the results:

In words, using “Moon Up” as my subject, my Sky Quality, in magnitudes per arc-second, can be estimated as
      19.28 mags/arc-sec
      plus 0.0314 /hour
      minus 0.864 /full-phase (or 0.216 /quarter)
      minus 0.0186 /degree above horizon (or 0.186 /10 degrees).
      This is a pretty simple analysis. I’m sure there’s theory and formulae available relating Moon-altitude and -phase to extra sky brightness, but I haven’t used any of that here. And the “error model” I’ve used implicitly assumes that the relationships between SQM-reading and the variables are linear.
      If anyone is curious and wishes to do their own analysis, my raw-ish data is available as a .csv file attachment at the end of this post.
      Cheers,
      Magnus

A note about the data collection: each reading is an average of a few readings at a given time, with outliers rejected. For instance, often the first press yields an outlier, and over the following few seconds subsequent ones tend to settle down. So the series of readings 19.05 (me getting excited), 18.85, 18.86, 18.86 , which is a quite typical pattern, would cause me to record 18.86. My highest recorded reading, 19.13, was indeed where it settled down.
      Other “one-on-one” charts:

SQMLdata201903.csv
    • By Gfamily
      I gave a demonstration/workshop at my local Astro Group* about a simple way of removing light pollution from an Astro Photo. 
      The description I gave was deliberately for beginners, using a wide angle tripod shot photo and using one of the easiest packages to get to grips with (Paint.net). 
      The attached pdf covers the basic technique. 
      I'd appreciate any feedback on it. 

* The Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group - all welcome, we meet on the last Friday of the Month.
      LP MCAG.pdf
    • By laser_jock99
      Congratulations to Welsh photographer Alyn Wallace for getting National Geographic Photo Of The Day for these pictures of the Elan Valley night sky.
      https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/photography/amazing-images-wales-starlight?fbclid=IwAR0hz92NXMnCh-ZaMw_MyFNkjKhRHYXIZLcygZGkTV_lHpNjjtvHWtNDXZg

• By laser_jock99
      The Campaign To Protect Rural England are running another star survey to monitor the spread of Light Pollution- details here:
      https://www.cpre.org.uk/what-we-do/countryside/dark-skies/star-count-2019?utm_medium=email&utm_source=engagingnetworks&utm_campaign=campaigns-update-2019-jan&utm_content=Campaigns+Update+2019+Jan
      TAKE PART: 2 February - 23 February
      Help us reclaim our dark skies
      Dark, starry skies are one of the most magical sights the countryside can offer. But light pollution means many of us can’t see the stars. We want to reconnect people with the wonder of our glorious night skies.
      You can take part in #StarCount2019 and help us map light pollution, to ensure more of us can enjoy the most magical sight the countryside has to offer.
      Our Star Count will take place this February, when we’ll be asking you to look up at the night sky and tell us how many you can see in Orion. You can do this from anywhere in England.
      The results will help us to create a new map to show how light pollution affects everybody’s views of the night sky.

• By rorymultistorey
      HI All,

I have an entertaining   video to share with you which is perfect for those just starting out and wanting to taste a bit of astrophotography without spending a lot of money. I image from London and managed to get a pretty good shot of Orion for just £150. This video runs through where I bought the equipment, why I bought  it and how I used it to capture a Orion and some of the trials and tribulations I had to deal with on the way. Any questions please ask!  Enjoy!
      FYI I shot this last year but with Orion now beginning to rise over the rooftops of London I thought this would be a good time to share it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.