SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Esprit ED100 Loose tube rings

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased Skywatcher Esprit ED100 and the first time when I used the telescope I found that the scope tends to slide. I tried to fix this issue by tightening the screws. I couldnt find any luck so far. the scope keeps on sliding. Can any one help me with this issue. Did anyone encounter the same issue?

6 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Have you placed the nylon washer on top of the top half of the tube ring directly underneath the hand bolt or is it sandwiched between the two halves of the ring? It should not be sandwiched between the two halves.

oh is that why it keeps on sliding? its sandwiched between two halves. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. really appreciate.  

Just now, Hamey said:

oh is that why it keeps on sliding? its sandwiched between two halves. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. really appreciate.  

It may not be the solution in your case but you wouldn't be the first to have done this! ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

It may not be the solution in your case but you wouldn't be the first to have done this! ?

haha. I think Skywatcher has to address this issue. some people told me to change the tube ring,

Hi Hamey. I had the same problem you essentially have two options 1) get in touch with your stockist and get replacement rings almost certainly via OVL. I did this and they swapped the with minimum fuss and the new ones are fine. Alternatively you can line the existing rings with adhesive Velcro. I’d go with the first option. You’ve spent a lot of dosh on your scope.  Let’s know how you get on. 

1 hour ago, Jarvo said:

Hi Hamey. I had the same problem you essentially have two options

If this is a known issue as appears to be the case, go with option 1 and get a replacement - you want this interface to be solid and an extra layer of 'softness' is less than ideal!

• 1 year later...

Hi  I am having the same problem with my brand new Esprit 100ED slipping down the the tube rings.

I, or should I say my wife, has come up with a fix. I had a piece of anti slip grip matt roll (you buy on eBay for about 3.29) which I cut out two small strips from.
It is very thin approx. 1mm. I placed the strips over the scope and under the tube ring. It grips very tightly and now has no slippage. 
I know you shouldn't have to do this but there is nothing stuck to the tube and replacing the tube rings will take while, especially given COVID-19 delivery times and there is no guarantee you wont have the same problem with new rings.

Anyway it works and here is a pic

Clear Skies,

Martin
CitySpace Astro

IMG_6302.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If I look at the rings I can see that with the knobs closed, the top pinches together, but there is a gap at the bottom so not completely closed and the rings don’t sit exactly at right-angle to the OTA.

FWIW, I cut a width of A4 paper (less 2cm) that is 2cm wide. It's placed under either of the rings and the scope. It's not that thick but it adds some "friction" and (for now) it works.

Edited by SimM

On 05/09/2020 at 11:57, CitySpaceAstro said:

Hi  I am having the same problem with my brand new Esprit 100ED slipping down the the tube rings.

I, or should I say my wife, has come up with a fix. I had a piece of anti slip grip matt roll (you buy on eBay for about 3.29) which I cut out two small strips from.
It is very thin approx. 1mm. I placed the strips over the scope and under the tube ring. It grips very tightly and now has no slippage. 
I know you shouldn't have to do this but there is nothing stuck to the tube and replacing the tube rings will take while, especially given COVID-19 delivery times and there is no guarantee you wont have the same problem with new rings.

Anyway it works and here is a pic

Clear Skies,

Martin
CitySpace Astro

IMG_6302.jpg

Watch that doesn't mark your scope.  Rubbery / plasticy things tend to leach pigment over time and may stain your lovely white tube. I know this from experience when I made some rings to stop a newt sliding downwards when rotated, the marks didn't polish out either.

Edited by Starflyer

On 01/12/2020 at 13:15, Starflyer said:

Watch that doesn't mark your scope.  Rubbery / plasticy things tend to leach pigment over time and may stain your lovely white tube. I know this from experience when I made some rings to stop a newt sliding downwards when rotated, the marks didn't polish out either.

Been checking quite regularly and no marking so far 🙂

Same issue, might happen on any scope/rings combination? Point to the zenith and it immediately starts to slip. Adding a 2cm width of A4 paper between either ring and the scope, adds little to the overall diameter, but shows that little additional friction is required to prevent the scope sliding. It's not a permanent solution.

Edited by SimM

• 1 month later...

Just as a data point, I purchased an Esprit100 last August (in the US from HPS) and I have experienced no issues with the included rings not being tight enough to hold the OTA when pointed at zenith with a fairly heavy load...FLI MicroLine ML16200 and a FLI CFW-7 filterwheel. This might be a variability issue for SW. I hope the folks with the issue get it sorted.