SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone Else Rolling the Dice.

Ed in UK

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out at 03:00 and greeted by full moon thru light clouds so pulled on the thermals and went out only to find wall to wall thick cloud. 

Two 30 second glimpses so far but being wide awake and having to be up by 05:30 might as well stick it out now though little chance now I feel. 

Watching it progress on SkySafari and timranddate.com instead though. 

28 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Went out at 03:00 and greeted by full moon thru light clouds so pulled on the thermals and went out only to find wall to wall thick cloud. 

Two 30 second glimpses so far but being wide awake and having to be up by 05:30 might as well stick it out now though little chance now I feel. 

Watching it progress on SkySafari and timranddate.com instead though. 

Well I'll tell them at work I saw a total lunar eclipse...

It was eclipsed by clouds ? 

? ? ? 

Macclesfield has been cloud covered now, since the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019.

The clouds did clear off around 18:00hrs to show a full Moon. It stayed that way for a couple of hours before the clouds gods pulled the covers over. Like July 2018 the eclipse went un-noticed from  SK11.

I only hope February brings better weather conditions. Less warm and more cold and frosty weather, please.

Alarm triggered my daily heart attack (a bit earlier today of course) at 0400 - I looked out the window without getting up and, of course I'm ashamed to say it, but......

......I was quietly happy to see it was cloudy.?

I've let SGL down ?, I've let amateur astronomy down ? and most importantly....... I let myself down ?

Och! Who am I kiddin?! I loved stayin in bed and I'm not EVEN sorry LOL! ?

Hope the rest of you got some great pictures for us to see later ?

David

Well despite my earlier post something caused me to wake at 0445.  For about 30 seconds I considered staying warm and tucked up.  Then I thought 'I'll never hold up my head in SGL again if I don't see what the weather is doing. So I went and stood on the landing and peaked through my west facing skylight window.   It was as clear as a bell and just opposite the window was the moon, so with 10 mins to go I stood and watched it go to totality.  No telescope, no bins, but I did see it, so thats my second one.  Here are Stupod entries to prove I was there taken through the Skylight

20190121_045015.jpg

20190121_050044.jpg

2 hours ago, David_L said:

...I was quietly happy to see it was cloudy.?

I've let SGL down ?, I've let amateur astronomy down ? and most importantly....... I let myself down ?

I'm not angry with you, I'm disappointed... 

? ? 

At least you set the alarm ☺ 

Cloudy here when I walked the dog around 23:00, but set the alarm for 04:00 anyway. Totally clear then, main shadow about 25% in, watched with bins through the bedroom window for an hour. :hello2:Some high cloud now in the North Wales Riviera! ???????

I  gave up my attempt. Unfortunately, it got so cold here, the OTA had iced up, and the corrector had a layer of frozen dew covering it. This was acouple of hours before totality so I chickened out. Shame on me. ?

Alarm went off at 0230h, cloud and rain, reset to 0330h, cloud even more rain. ?

Back to bed, woke up at 0500 for a loo break, by chance looked out of the  window to see stars winking at me. Yes moon clearly visible and in totality ?.

I dont think I've got dressed so quickly. Ran outside with the camera and watched the rest of it until just before 0700h. Great unexpected sight. 

Archived