Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone Else Rolling the Dice.

Ed in UK

After the poor weather forecasting of recent, I've just got my stuff ready for the eclipse tomorrow morning.

Given that the skies are clear when they forecast cloud, I'm applying a touch of reverse logic.

Forecast here is pretty poor, but we'll see what the gods have in-store for us. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had pretty much blue sky here in Yorkshire all day.   Set the scope up, got the focus and auto-guide working.  Take one 5 min sub to see what the situation is.......

and after  4min 50 secs......   it clouds over.   :crybaby2:

7 minutes ago, Craney said:

I have had pretty much blue sky here in Yorkshire all day.   Set the scope up, got the focus and auto-guide working.  Take one 5 min sub to see what the situation is.......

and after  4min 50 secs......   it clouds over.   :crybaby2:

Don't give up hope yet. You might get lucky.

I admit I am not staying up but I've set an alarm about an hour before I am due to wake up for work. If it's cloudy, then C'est la vie!

I'll set the alarm and take a peek then. Last time I saw one of these I found just observing with my eyes provided the biggest impact so I would not bother with a scope or binoculars even. The spectacular part of the event last time, for me, was not that the moon went deep red but it was watching all the stars and DSO's appearing. as the moonlight was suddently massively reduced.

I've seen several lunar eclipses in my time, some quite spectacular and really red, so I'm not that bothered and I need to look after my health and not make a pretty bad cough worse.  Don't want bronchitis or pneumonia.

Without a storm warning I disregard the forecast and watch the infrared radar - and remain prepared as ever ?

I'll be doing a polar align around 0330hrs ready for the big event ?

Stay positive and delusional - that's my moto ?

y4mzZuddfh2C5y6iXAK8GHrZb8oWxAHYtMCHP9EB

Pity it wasn't Wednesday, that it is my scheduled early start morning.  However, I have a long drive then and can't afford 2 short nights so close to each other and still be safe, so I shall be passing unless something else wakes me then.

Sky here in Cumbria  looking promising for the main event.
In the meantime, I got a couple off with my 1000D  In the focuser of my SW MN190 at first focus.
Hope those clouds keep away.

One below i converted to greyscale, but it is not right way up either, which matters not..
Ron.

image.png.3ca397726c6f93dec517473b90682507.png

Near solid cloud here at the moment.  I can see the Moon through it though, so it's perhaps not as bad as it could be.  Can't say that the satellite images look too reassuring though.  There looks to be a hefty band of cloud hitting the Irish coast from the west about now, and heading this way :(

James

Thick cloud here how.  I couldn't even tell you which direction the Moon is in, other than "up".  The Met Office forecast is teasing clear skies around 2am to 3am, but I'm not sure I believe them.

James

I've been having some Ovaltine and a couple of biccies whilst watching the end of the Desert Golf Classic. The guy who won it was rank outsider. He must have had odds of at least 500/1 against him winning it . But, win it he did, his first ever PGA win. Big pay day for him.

Returned to check everything is OK, but found the MN's corrector plate soaked in Dew. Cleared it with a low power heat gun. I should have put a Few Strap around it I reckon. May do that before the real event gets underway.

Ron.

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Thick cloud here how.  I couldn't even tell you which direction the Moon is in, other than "up".  The Met Office forecast is teasing clear skies around 2am to 3am, but I'm not sure I believe them.

James

Know what you mean James. They can never guarantee what will happen in local areas. They only presume what the weather is likely to be.

I'm retired now, so I can make lost sleep up in the daytime, asking as the wife has no shopping trekking to do.

Oh dear.  Having shown solid cloud for the entire night only a couple of hours ago and then changed to clear around 2am to 3am about an hour ago, the Met Office has now gone back to cloud until sunrise.

If it's that tricky to get it right for a few hours ahead, what chance have they got of getting it right for tomorrow? :D

James

Archived