SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just walls around an observing area?

Alan White

21 hours ago, Rusted said:

Wooden panels are acceptable outdoor "furniture" under most circumstances.

Moreover,  they have a rather neutral attitude to the sun's heat.

They neither absorb heat nor release it over the following hours. [Like bricks and blocks do.]

Staggering vertical planks on either side of the panel provides a draught and reduces the sail effect.

Thanks Rusted,
Fence with alternating planks to allow higher wind some passage was a serious consideration.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/01/2019 at 16:41, MoonNut said:

Wow, I never thought of that.

Living in Bahrain, any outside wood looks a million years old within about six months, I have tried paint, wood stain, teak oil (attracted thousands of small bugs)...the lot , this could be the answer!

Do you have any photos to show the effect?

Sorry to go off topic ?

I have big problems here with LP and have used fold-up  plywood screens attached to 1 meter fence panels around my roll-off shed in the past, it worked very well.

A few years ago I bought a few bundles of roofing lath from a local builders yard and constructed some high gates that would shield me from neighbouring lights. I painted the angle iron frame I'd made with iron oxide but got some on the wood by accident. I thought it looked very much like red fence preserver, so I decided to give the whole thing a couple of coats of red iron oxide. Personally i think its the best thing I could have done, as its been pretty well weatherproofed ever since.

The image may give an idea of the vertical lath design wind break/light shield. 

415383058_2019-01-2310_00_58.thumb.jpg.fc635d03b13622d68b42611d0c3f7df3.jpg

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

@mikeDnight that is the sort of thing I have in mind,
perhaps not red though as it sits fairly in view from the Lounge.

Is this just 2x1 or similar down one side?

Yes, something along those measurements. Slate lath from a builders yard comes in bundles and is already pressure treated, so you could paint it with any colour wood stain. 

On 23/01/2019 at 12:56, mikeDnight said:

A few years ago I bought a few bundles of roofing lath from a local builders yard and constructed some high gates that would shield me from neighbouring lights. I painted the angle iron frame I'd made with iron oxide but got some on the wood by accident. I thought it looked very much like red fence preserver, so I decided to give the whole thing a couple of coats of red iron oxide. Personally i think its the best thing I could have done, as its been pretty well weatherproofed ever since.

The image may give an idea of the vertical lath design wind break/light shield. 

415383058_2019-01-2310_00_58.thumb.jpg.fc635d03b13622d68b42611d0c3f7df3.jpg

That looks great, I think I will give it a try, thanks Mike. ?

Archived