Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

A_N_other_beginner

Basic DSLR EP photography

I've recently acquired a Celestron C6N with an AZ4 mount through these forums and was advised early doors that astrophotography isn't something I'd manage at the budget end of things. Which I still understand.
However a couple of nights ago, despite less than ideal viewing conditions the moon was breaking through the clouds and I was able to get a decent view with my 10mm Baader BCO. Holding a smartphone up to the EP and I got a couple of photo's that with a tiny bit of tweaking in LR looked very respectable to my eyes.

It got me thinking about rigging up my 70D. If I can do it cheaply as an occasional indulgence I'd be happy with that, being mindful that lunar photography could well be the limits with budget gear.

I was considering picking up a Vixen 2x Barlow with t2 thread and a Celestron EOS T-Ring. Total of £45. Would that amount to a significant upgrade on a trying to grab smartphone snaps through the EP?
If so, how do the logistics work - does the camera connect directly via the adapter to the barlow, or does the T-Ring connect to a lens first? And does it all go directly onto the EP or do I need to support the camera with a tripod?
Finally, would lunar be the upper limit?

I'm a little wary of even posting because I can see it being a slippery slope.

It would certainly be better than using an eyepiece and smartphone. Don't bother with eyepiece though, the barlow and t-ring connected to the camera body should be sufficient.

That would certainly work well for lunar - yes you just remove lens and fit the t2 ring as if it’s a lens. Then screw the Barlow into the inside of the t2 lens. Dead easy.

Does the C6N reach focus with a dslr?

Another way of eyepiece projection is by using an 8-24 zoom eyepiece with t2 threads ( I know the celestron has them, but didn't have the chance to try it before selling it for the favor of the baader one).

This way you can zoom in with the camera, reach focus (if you can't in prime focus), and maybe, just maybe give you a wider field of view when needed in comparison to using barlow to bring the focal plane outwards.

13 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Does the C6N reach focus with a dslr?

Another way of eyepiece projection is by using an 8-24 zoom eyepiece with t2 threads ( I know the celestron has them, but didn't have the chance to try it before selling it for the favor of the baader one).

This way you can zoom in with the camera, reach focus (if you can't in prime focus), and maybe, just maybe give you a wider field of view when needed in comparison to using barlow to bring the focal plane outwards.

My C6N has a t-thread secreted behind the eyepiece holder (1.25" focuser). The holder unscrews and a t-ring can be attached directly to the draw tube.

10 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

My C6N has a t-thread secreted behind the eyepiece holder (1.25" focuser). The holder unscrews and a t-ring can be attached directly to the draw tube.

That’s handy - but I think you’d still want a Barlow for the moon, I’ve shot it at 1200mm through a small mak and it’s still relatively small...

21 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I didn't realise that.

I'm probably going to get a Vixen 2x barlow with T-thread, I'm guessing it'll be marginally better than the Astro Essentials equivalent (which is only a fiver less.) If it gets me a few lunar shots for minimal expenditure I'll be happy. And it keeps me occupied until I can pick up either a higher end barlow or Powermate clone that has been suggested in another thread.