SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

a Qwick solar Session 20-1-19

xtreemchaos

i woke to a bit of sunshine so power up the quark with the ed80, its very quiet, 2 small proms on the lower oncoming limb and a near small loop on the upper off going limb with a small spike just a bit up from it, sol was fazing quite bad so didnt bother to try and image, there was a small bright patch towards the upper off going  quarter. i hope we get a AR soon with some clear to go with it.  clear skys, charl.

Sun all day here to at least 14.00.

Spotted the proms you mentioned but I've been dismantling my 6" [120/10] H-a 'scope to double check the D-ERF orientation. Arrow towards sun.

After removing the etalon and all the following PST filters I could easily burn a hole in a target at focus despite the internal D-ERF! :blush:

Do you think the D-ERF is designed to cope only with parallel light? What about the fierce heat on my PST etalon?  :huh2:

thanks Dave, that is good news mate, its taken a longtime coming to get a good one. yes mate the seeing was pants with me and with the fazing it wasnt worth me getting some vid + the longest Day is on telly and didnt wont to miss the start. goodluck. charl.

39 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Rusty, about the ERF I havn't a clue mate Peter would be the one to ask, it do sound worrying to burn paper with it fitted but etalons can take a lot of heat, Peter would know. charl.

Thanks. I didn't mean to hijack your tread. :blush: Just raising a warning flag.

@Rusted. As said, you could burn a hole with the focused light that has passed through a D-ERF but the PST etalon should be 200mm inside the focal point at which position the unfocused heat is easily coped with by the etalon. I've had no problems using the same setup with a 8.5" refractor.  ?

29 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

@Rusted. As said, you could burn a hole with the focused light that has passed through a D-ERF but the PST etalon should be 200mm inside the focal point at which position the unfocused heat is easily coped with by the etalon. I've had no problems using the same setup with a 8.5" refractor.  ?

Thank you, Master. ?

I wish I had no [such] problems!  Just think of the damage I could do! :thumbsup:

Archived