Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula 190119

festoon

First light with my new Atik 414EX with the C5 on the AZ GTi. Having just got the spacing right the set up with the Optec Maxfield x0.33 focal reducer. I haven't produced any flats yet, so there was some noticeable vignetting towards the edge of the frame.

Very pleased with the result. This image was 26 frames of 5 second exposures, stacked in Sharpcap. Final image cropped in GIMP. Almost full moon as well, so looking forwards to a dark sky night to see what results I can get from this set up :) I still think its amazing what you can get from a C5 on an Alt-Az mount!!

orion1.png.53a573824316528d709c51cee95ab65c.png

Very nice result! You did well not blow out the core and get the trapezium as well as the nebulosity. Does Sharpcap have special features for dealing with high dynamic range objects? 

Interesting to hear you are using a 0.33 reducer, did you manage to reach 0.33? I haven’t managed to get anywhere 0.33 without horrible coma like effects.

Thanks @RobertI

As far as I know Sharpcap does not have special features for bringing out HDR objects. I did play with the histogram limits to get the best image

Managed to achieve x0.33 reduction but did have nasty coma towards the edge of the image, also lots of vignetting too - the image here is cropped to show the centre only

I'm wondering if I've gone too far with this set up and maybe the chip size is too large at 11mm diagonal.

Yesterday I took a few flats and applied them last night in sharpcap. I'm not sure I liked the results any better than just having massive vignetting in the original image.

Archived