SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep Sky Dad

david_taurus83

Long overdue review on this but the weather has been terrible. I seen a fellow SGL'r recommend this neat auto focusing unit and I couldn't help treating myself to an early Christmas present. I ordered the AF1 unit and the DC Hub late one Sunday night and early on the following Monday morning I had an email from Pavle thanking me for the order and that it would be prepared and shipped within a day or so. Any questions I had were replied to promptly and I was kept up to date with the progress of the order's preparation and shipping. 7 days later the package was received and I fitted straight away. The supplied bracket and it's pre drilled holes were a perfect fit for my William Optics GT71. Unfortunately, the supplied belt was a bit too tight upon fitting. I contacted Pavle to let him know. It wasn't a big issue as I had found a similar belt on eBay with a couple of extra teeth and would try that instead. Nonetheless, Pavle offered to send a revised housing for the auto focuser which would allow some adjustability to slacken the belt. This was offered free of charge. In the end I didn't need the revised housing as I was able to utilise the longer belt. I had to wait 6 weeks until I could finally test it! I only use APT at the moment and it connected to the focuser without any problems. With regards to auto focusing, I have had mixed results with APT. I believe I have some backlash in my focuser and I need to spend some time ironing this out. For the time being, I am happy to stick the bahtinov mask on and focus remotely from indoors. This process took considerably longer when I was focusing manually. The DC Hub is also a nice compact unit which sits just under my USB hub and has enabled me to tidy up my cables somewhat.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the unit. It's light, compact, well made and has considerably shortened the time I spend on focusing. Pavle has been a pleasure to deal with and I wish him all the best with his business!

David

20181208_121745.jpg

20181211_202924.jpg

20190119_142003.jpg

20190119_142043.jpg

• Like 8

Having purchased a AF2 focusser around Oct 2018 the service received then was exemplary. On arrival all was good but after about a month the usb port on the focusser detached from the control board. No problems. This was replaced without question and within the week I was up and running again. 

Now 2.5 years later following some issues with my AF2 DeepSkyDad provided a free upgrade to AF3 that addresses the issues I have been having. This upgrade arrived and within the week I was up and running again. 

Awesome service all round. Thank you. 

• Like 4